Seeking advice, esp. from phpBB admins

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by anthony2982, May 11, 2011.

1. anthony2982

anthony2982 Newcomer

Hi all,

I run a forum using FUD (fudforum.org) that is turning into a nightmare. I've got two problems:

1.) I've got hundreds of plain HTML documents that I want to import. The docs are threads of the old forum before I took over. The forum was booted off ProBoards (the forum is slightly controversial) so I bought a domain and started a FUD forum.

2.) Both myself and the users are unhappy with the FUD forum software. So I want to switch to phpBB. There are no existing converters, so I will probably have to write one or hire someone to do so.

I planned on importing the old threads before switching to phpBB.

But I also discovered that the back up functionality doesn't work either.

The more I work with this FUD forum, the more buggy and inconsistent it seems.

What would you do in this situation?

Keep digging into the FUD forum and import the old threads, then convert to phpBB?

Or convert to phpBB now, and then import the old threads?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Keylogged

Keylogged Addict

I'd convert to phpBB now and import the old threads.

3. onlineearner123

onlineearner123 Regular Member

yeah converting to phpBB seems to be a better option......just import all your old data ......like threads ,members,etc

4. anthony2982

anthony2982 Newcomer

I ended up switching to phpBB and have never been happier!

I wrote a script to parse the HTML files and write the data to an XML file that phpBB's generic message import mod would accept. The import was successful and the forum members are quite happy.

5. Rick Ferrel

Rick Ferrel Newcomer

First Name:
    Rick
    Excellent! In the future, you may want to go to vBulletin. In my opinion, vB is the BEST forum platform out there. Sure, its a bit costly, but it justifies the price.

phpBB isn't a bad choice either but last I saw it, the UI for the admin was unintuitive and plain ugly, at least for me!

6. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

Here I have to admonish you for making a blanket endorsement.It is not a good way to help someone looking for a new forum software.

He chose phpBB3 that I left,because I did not like it.But HE likes it and that is the point.He states that hi forum members are happy too for the change.

Forum owners should chose a software that BEST matches what they really need.Not what is most popular or allegedly the best.

7. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

Glad to see you find your forum software you are happy with.

I used phpbb2 and bb3.I left it because I wanted a forum that better suits me.After trying SMF for a few months.Tried myBB and never looked back.

I am curious on what you disliked about fudforum.