Section specfically for guests

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by jrs1939, Nov 20, 2009.

1. jrs1939

jrs1939 Newcomer

First Name:
    J R
    I now have a lot of vBulletin figured out, but I still have a long way to go.

Is there a way to set up a section specifically for guests to see when they click on our forum? Hopefully, this could be a place where I could add a thread or two with posts from the moderators. We could show how things work and what we are all about.

2. EdgeOfVanity

EdgeOfVanity Addict

First Name:
    Wayne
    Yes, you'd first need to create the new forum via the Forum Manager, and then need to alter the permissions for this new forum, again via the Forum Manager, to that that suit the needs of your new section (you can choose to let only guests see it - just like you can only allow members see certain sections.

For e.g. I let guests post in one section of my forum, but I have to approve every post! :)

2 people like this.
  3. EdgeOfVanity

EdgeOfVanity Addict

First Name:
    Wayne
    Alternatively, you could also just create a customized notice via the notice manager?

4. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

I concur with EoVs first post, but not the second in accomplishing the OPs question. :D

5. jrs1939

jrs1939 Newcomer

First Name:
    J R
    EdgeOfVanity:

Your first reply sounds kind of what I would like to do. But how do I get the guests/unregistered/not logged in past the “log in page”. Do I need to set up a guest user and provide them a pass word they can use to sign on and look at the Guest forum?

How can I use unregistered/not logged in to help do this. I set them to see forum, but initial log in still takes them to log in page. What the devil am I missing? After I have Guest forum established, what changes at the “enter forum” if they can't get past log in without a password?

Can I redo the log in page and give them a URL to the guest forum?

I have been on almost totally open forums where there is no log in page. You go to the website, see access to forums, click on forums, and they are. How do they do that?

I hate to bother you with all these questions, but dealing with guests has turned out to be my biggest problem.

I want to interest guests, but not give them access to the whole forum.

Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated.

6. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

So you only want to allow a Guest forum to be viewed on your site is what I gather. All the other forums are set to private, or not viewable without being logged in.

To accomplish what you are asking, only to view for Guests:

ACP > Forums & Moderators > Forum Permissions Manager > Select the Guest Forum

Click Edit for Unregistered Usergroup

Set the following:

Can View Forum Yes
    Can View Thread Content Yes
    Can View Others' Threads Yes

This locks that forum from Guest posting, but allows everything to be seen and read.

Hope that helps ya.

7. jrs1939

jrs1939 Newcomer

First Name:
    J R
    MjrNUT:
    Thanks. I think that is exactly what I was trying to figure out. You people are great.

8. jrs1939

jrs1939 Newcomer

First Name:
    J R
    I have it set up exactly as you suggested. This was totally in line with what I was trying to accomplisg with one problem/

I still don't know how to get them past the log in page.

Any assistance would be helpful

9. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Hmm, for the forum in question:

Show Private Forum -- set to default?

Forum is Active Yes?

Forum is Open Yes?

You using some non-default starting page, login page? Feel free to PM me the URL.

10. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    i know someone who made one......but didnt give guests the permissions to view that forum, and no, that wasnt me this time-in fact, pointing that out contributed to my 2 year (so far) holiday in banland

11. jrs1939

jrs1939 Newcomer

First Name:
    J R
    Thanks for your reply, but the problem has been resolved.