searching all forums... zzzzzzzzzz....

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by monsieurjohn, Jan 30, 2001.

1. monsieurjohn

monsieurjohn Regular Member

is it really necessary to load a whole new page for every forum searched? i mean, if there were like 3 or 4 forums total that'd be fine, but it takes foreeeever! just a thought.

------------------
    "Maybe *this* is what 'cooties', the disease that every grade schooler is terrified of, yet knows not the symptoms of which, is!" - KNSinatra at 3:34 AM

2. ukliam

ukliam Regular Member

The UBB search engine is renowned for being very slow.

Alien, the VB one is super quick . hint hint

------------------
    "All you want from life is a nice woman and lots of money, the trouble is, when you have one, you hav'nt got the other."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  3. Alien

Alien Regular Member

ukliam: Get over it. .

------------------
    "I'd like an order of fries, a quarter pounder with cheese, I love the light in your eyes, would you go out with me please? I am in love with a McDonald's Girl, she has a smile of innocence so tender and warm, she is an angel in a polyester uniform."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  4. ukliam

ukliam Regular Member

blah..... is the v6 one any better then?

------------------
    "All you want from life is a nice woman and lots of money, the trouble is, when you have one, you hav'nt got the other."

5. Alien

Alien Regular Member

With search? Only with searching recent posts of a user.

------------------
    "I'd like an order of fries, a quarter pounder with cheese, I love the light in your eyes, would you go out with me please? I am in love with a McDonald's Girl, she has a smile of innocence so tender and warm, she is an angel in a polyester uniform."

6. monsieurjohn

monsieurjohn Regular Member

ugh.. it seems horrendously inefficient to load an entire new page on the user's computer for a search of archives stored remotely

but if that's the way it must be, then que sera sera

------------------
    "Maybe *this* is what 'cooties', the disease that every grade schooler is terrified of, yet knows not the symptoms of which, is!" - KNSinatra at 3:34 AM

7. nootch

nootch Regular Member

i was actually going to ask about this too. no way you can have say a checkbox to do the entire search (even if it takes the same amount of time) and then load the results to a page instead of loading a new page for each forum? or maybe be able to select just a few forums to search from?

------------------
    "May those who love us love us. And those who don't love us-- may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping." -- Keeping the Faith

8. Alien

Alien Regular Member

Nope. There is no such ability now, and noone has ever written a hack for it to date.

It's just how the software works unfortunately. One of the few remaining problems, is it not having a backend database.

------------------