Regretting the launch of a new forum

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Nick, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

If you have more than one forum, have you ever regretted launching one of them? I don't mean it in a sense that you wish you never did it, but more like you wish you didn't launch it yet - like you jumped in too quickly and there's no going back now. :shrug:

So if you did launch one too soon, and you realize that you actually don't have the time to nurture it to success, then what do you do? Do you see how it goes on its own or do you close it and restart at a later time?

2. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I think the best idea in these situations is to close down and keep buying the domain for a proper launch at a later date, even in ten years or so.

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

What if the site is already fairly active with a handful of members and plenty of posts? :shrug:

4. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I honestly dont know, as weve discussed before, its a hard decision to make and if you did have posts etc the only thing you can really do is keep going or maybe burn a backup of your site for use in the future although thats hardly great either.

5. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I did launch one forum, The kawfee Klub, when I shouldn't have. I didn't have time or patience to get it going, when I knew that I was going to start another forum - I Need To Be Me - in just a few weeks. I did close TKK. There were very few posts anyway.

6. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Not to be mean, but there is such a thing as *forum hoppers*? lol

All kidding aside, I've never been in such a situation so I can't fully appreciate. I already have a full time job, so maybe that's the difference as it speaks to my time.

I think I can see how stretched it would be on proper planning, setup, ultimate launch, and then maintaining, etc.

7. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    I "launched" TeeGopher too soon. I didn't have the code finished (it's still not finished) for what the purpose of that site is.

I'll get to it when I can, but I fell like it might already be too late for it to be effective. :(

8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Well the forum I'm referring to is one month old, has 100+ members and 6,300+ posts. It's doing pretty well for such a new forum, but I just know that if I don't nurture it, it's going to dwindle into nothing. It has already started, actually: We used to have 40+ members logging in each day, but now only have 20-30.

Maybe I'm over-worrying and should just see what can be made of it... :shrug:

9. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Are you not supposed to go hands off at times??? See how it carries itself?

I see what you're saying though and it make perfect sense. Everything goes in waves, has been my approach to such things.

Good luck sir.

10. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I've got a few forums sitting stagnant that I installed vB or myBB, did a few tweaks, and maybe added a style but never bothered promoting. It's those that I regret starting only because it looks bad to have a forum sitting there doing nothing but getting a spammer here and there.

If I only had the patience and energy to do the monotonous promotion schemes I could probably make something out of them.

11. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    It sounds like it's already got enough members and content to let it be and see what comes of it. I wouldn't worry too much. Instead of taking it down if it does get really slow, you could leave it up until you have time to nurture it. At that time just update it, get some fresh discussions started, and promote it.

12. Nick

Nick Regular Member

True. I guess I never really had anything to worry about with this in the first place; I just needed the reassurance from my fellow addicts. :D

13. p4guru

p4guru Addict

Never regretted such but i am thinking of launching another forum but just not sure it's the right time with amount on my plate right now.

14. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    I totally understand that (been there myself) and it's always a pleasure to help! ;)