Rank / Online Status Strips

Discussion in 'Graphics Showoff' started by Chani, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
  2. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Im not so keen on the green, maybe switch that with a silvery grey? A light one too!

3. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    How's this?

awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_6c388b770122877b190b099abab20b4b.jpg

4. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

I think it would be fairly easy to do. I combined the instant messenger icons once into one image sitting on a ledge and the effect was visually pleasing.

Anyway, The icons for my preference are a little on the large side they would look better if they weren't so big in height. I'd also ease off so much on the bevel and use a gradient overlay which has a more desirable effect.

The text, I'd personally use a nice clean font. Maybe you are and your using the wrong anti-aliasing for it or maybe it's the outerglow/drop shadow/bevel Reversed that is making the text hard to read I can't 100% say what effect is causing this that you used.

Otherwise, nice start and goodluck.

5. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Yeah, you're right about their vertical size. I tend to do that for some reason... :(

It's actually a double-bevel and satin on the grey portion. The visible layer has a very small pillow emboss and then there's an invisible layer with the larger bevel.

I'll modify it a bit and get back. :)

6. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Yeah, I thought the black/dark base had the satin effect applied to it. No to worry, I used to use the bevel like crazy when I first started using photoshop. :D

Look forward seeing the updated previews.

7. RockinRobbins

RockinRobbins Adept

First Name:
    Renee
    Something that sheely said got me thinking. I wonder what those would look like with the following changes:
    • if the base was a sleek satin black,
    • if the color went all the way to the top of the image (instead of the white) and it was still rounded at the edge like it is now
    • and if the text was in white
    Just some thoughts!

HTH!
    RR

8. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Hope you don't mind, I thought the design is nice and even more so on the concept. Thinking more on this, I think the swirls and curves are a little too much. I'd still retain the curved edges but keep the design relatively simple and easy on the eyes whilst still maintaining most of the design.

I designed a mockup, give you a little insight that a clean simple design will be easier on the eyes and a way for you to reduce the height and possibly the width.

Obviously, add in some other little touches but I'd keep it clean and as simple as possible. I like the idea which is why I created the mockup to show you what I mean. Hopefully it will help.

awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_088543bd64b122c81d1fd701241500ed.png

And with the rank title in the rank itself you could actually have the name of the member, admin moderator name etc where you originally had the rank titles but this would mean more slices as the images may need to repeat. Just some food for thought.

9. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    I like the idea of the user's name being on there somewhere.

Hmmm...I need to think about this a little bit.

I also need to think about how 3d I want it (such as the bevels, etc.). I come from the 3d modeling universe, so creating flatter images is a little tough for me. :o

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :)

Also, these may be going on a sci-fi-related forum...

10. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    A couple more:

awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_66c986a064501faa6686c67dcde143b3.jpg

awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_cabad98d2fadb45cc249a5b782bc5afb.jpg

The colors are completely arbitrary. It's just what I happened to start working with. :o

11. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

In my opinion these are better. I would increase the thickness just a little to the extended area and have the font white. The bar above would distinguish the differential in the ranking groups. Out of the two sets I prefer the top variants. These are really nice and a vast improvement. Nice work.

maybe use a pixel font?

12. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Either of these work for you?

awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_3dc8078aa6623ac006790e7edf77d4db.jpg

awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_07894d719425b77e481c68ef7ec0dfbd.jpg