Put Aliensoup graphics on a diet?

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by CaptKirk, Jul 1, 2000.

1. CaptKirk

CaptKirk Regular Member

Hey Alien,

The Virginconnect box has NO cache, so graphics need to load every time on every page. Add that to abismal speed (both screen speed and connect speed) and you have a very frustrating situation. Now I LOVE your graphics, but is there a way to make them smaller? Maybe use a higher JPEG compression, or drop the color depth so they load quicker?

I've done a lot of work to shrink graphic sizes without seriously impacting the end result so I know it is possible (example PowerPoint file down from over 5 megs to less than 1 through simple graphic manipulation).

Thanks for the consideration...

2. Alien

Alien Regular Member

The virgin connect box can eat my shorts. .

I can't work on graphics and layout for every piece of equipment out there or nothing would ever get done. .

Heh, any particular graphics that are slow to load? I've been trying to watch file sizes very closely.. 95% of graphics here are .05-5k in size, even the main logo is only 12k.

What browser does the V.C. use anyways?

------------------
    Alien - Administrator / Owner
    ["Everything was true. God was an alien. Oz really is over the
    rainbow. ...and Midian is where the monsters live." -Nightbreed]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2014
  3. CaptKirk

CaptKirk Regular Member

The box and software are by "Merinta" and the generic h/w s/w platform is called Ibrow. The browser is the Espial Escape browser (??!?) which is a piece of dung IMHO. Apparently, the thing may running Linux, but some people say it is VxWorks. Their site says Linux 2.2, but who knows. Hope this helps.

The Aliens in the soup pot takes FOREVER to paint on the screen. THat may by Prodigy's fault but I think it is the S/W...

----------------------------
    Scotty, the native aliens here ARE friendly...