Pros and cons of running a forum

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by cpvr, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Gal Pal

Gal Pal Regular Member

Hi, cpvr :)

I was giving away Webkinz virtual pet codes, trading card codes and kinzposting Webkinz items as gifts for giveaways or contests on behalf of my own Webkinz website. My investment was extraordinary. I will share the name soon. My site is undergoing a very major face lift this week and right now is not even navigable as all of the version updates are being done for Wordpress, as well as vBulletin. Hyperlinks and tabs and all sorts of buttons are not working. I would be embarrassed for you to see it just yet. Once I have the new skins added and the hyperlinks and navigation issues are fixed, I'd be happy to share. I plan to leave the portion of my Webkinz forum as an archive for any Webkinz fans once I reopen my website. I've saved the best threads and lots of wonderful images.

My strength is in the administration aspect of my website. My husband insisted that I should have my own webserver when I started out on this adventure back in 2009. I've always had a web master to work on my server though. Currently, my web master is working on a huge laundry list of changes so that when I start over again I will start out great from the start. :)

What exactly are you needing in your community in respect to virtual pets? My knowledge is in Webkinz. Perhaps I can help in some way. :)

2. Gal Pal

Gal Pal Regular Member

I agree. I've met some amazing people on line. I have some wonderful pen pals and even correspond with friends in other continents. I really enjoy being part of good forum communities, as well as having my own. It's more then a hobby. To me it's a personal calling to reach out to others and hopefully help their day to be happier. :)

3. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Our community rarely discusses Webkinz, so that would be pretty cool to see some action from that game. Can you write a review about webkinz? If yes, how much would you charge for one?

Or, how much would you sell your Webkinz forum for if you don't want to re-open it and run it?

4. Gal Pal

Gal Pal Regular Member

Hi cpvr!!

I will write a Webkinz review for your website. It may take me several weeks simply because my real life is super busy with commitments, but I will fit some time in and for free. :) I remember looking at your Virtual pet website from one of your posts on TAZ. I like the registration avatar that shows up on the right side of the screen.

I wouldn't be selling my Webkinz forum because I will still have that area available as an archive of sorts when I reopen my website. My webkinz members will likely want access to it at times and perhaps others may have interest. Thanks for asking and offering.

5. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Thank you so much, I received a good review on TAZ, and I was quite grateful for that because I've been on TAZ for so long, and when we came up, we had two competitors, we blew them out of the water.

And woot, I'm looking forward to reading your review - how many posts did your Webkin forum have? Is it possible for you to send out a mass mail to your users?

And no problem, it was worth a shot.;)

6. Gal Pal

Gal Pal Regular Member

Congrats on your TAZ review. I believe that is when I took a look at your website. I am GalPal on TAZ too.

My website has over 27000 posts (small), however, there are a number of threads that have been deleted that I didn't find relevant to keep for the topic. :) Yes, I can mass email through vBulletin.

When you get a chance, pass on the link to your review section in your forum so I can glance at other member reviews and determine how detailed your member reviews are and to what extent your reviews include varied information. I'll also need to know the average age your website curtails to so I don't write a review that appeals to grown ups if most of your member's are teens. Thanks!

7. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

That's not bad at all, congratulations.

The link to my reviews is here http://www.virtualpetlist.com/forumdisplay.php/70-Reviews

Our average age is basically teens, and some adults. I'm an adult myself.

8. Gal Pal

Gal Pal Regular Member

Thanks for the link to your reviews section. That helps a lot to know what audience I'm writing for. I'm an adult too...lol!!

Have a great Tuesday!!

9. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

You too, how's life treating you? Our community has been on the rise the past few months, things are getting hectic behind the scenes for me. Just changed from Apache to litespeed this morning, @Iconic also implemented xcache. We're giving xcache a week to run, and then into another cache script.

Thanks you too.

10. SwitchCase

SwitchCase Regular Member

Pros:
    -Learn new things
    -Interact with others
    -Meet new friends

Cons:
    -You need some money in order to run a forum
    -Forum Rivalry
    -Hard to manage if your running the forum just by yourself
    -Your forum wont be a success if you won't offer your time

cpvr likes this.
  11. dziomek

dziomek Regular Member

I have only just begun testing the forum waters, and so far am enjoying the growing list I belong to. I am trying to get mine up and running as well, but I know it will take time. I am using my time here as a learning experience so when I do go full force with mine, I will have a very good idea of what to do. Right now it is basically a "get-together" place for the very few members I have. I think learning from the experienced Admins and moderators is the first step in building my own community. I have recently been given the position of Mod on another forum, and am having fun with it as well. I think all in good time it will come together for me. :)

12. dojo

dojo Regular Member

Well, having some good communities to rely on is amazing. I started my stay on TAZ in 2005 I think, 3 years after starting as a forum admin. let's say it really opened my eyes and, if I was able to put to work all I know today, I'd run one of those big board forums. But it's never too late :)

13. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

It all depends on what niche you're in. I had two competitors that were running the show, while my community was down. When we re-opened, we managed to make all those forums die off. It's such a wonderful feeling when you see your competitors crumble to the ground, especially if they're not working as hard as you are, and your members.

14. Gal Pal

Gal Pal Regular Member

I am almost finished writing the Webkinz Review for your virtual pet's website. :) It's rather long and detailed. :rolleyes: I think I might add pic's to break up the detail. I will work on pics to add over the next week and stop by and join your community too. Sorry it took so long. I knew July and August were going to be very busy for me. :)
    Update ~ I had a few minutes to register. I'm Webkinz Diva at your Virtual Pets Forum. :)

Brandon and cpvr like this.
  15. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. It should open up a lot of my users to the game. If you post it as a blog, it'll allow you to post links. But in a forum thread, you will need 10 posts before you can post images/links, but the blogs are open water. We have a review forum, so it would be best there instead of the blog. It's alright, thanks for doing this for me!:sneaky:

Brandon likes this.
  16. Zaturo

Zaturo Regular Member

Pros:
    Kick ass community = Even better profits

Cons:
    Too much work :)

Other thoughts:
    I'd rather be a member of a forum than the admin.