Progress being made on PHP5.4 and PHP5.5 at vBulletin

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by djbaxter, Aug 30, 2013.

1. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

I'm starting to think you just like bitching about other people bitching about your shitty company you work for.

Big al likes this.
  2. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Building Social Communities Since 2004

I'm starting to think we can all just get along.

3. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Would this be trolling then?

Autopilot likes this.
  4. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

Apparently it doesn't matter to them that you own a license, if you don't use it you have no right to post in any vB thread. Too bad for them they are in a forum where they can't power trip on others rights and privileges all they can do is whine about not being able to do anything about it.
    Back on topic - is there any news that this fix is also for the earlier versions or are they too far past EOL to bother with?

Big al likes this.
  5. djbaxter

djbaxter Regular Member

*sigh*

6. Lizard King

Lizard King Regular Member

It is good to see some progress is being done on this for the sake of existing customers.

7. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

As I thought, no actual reason.
    Quite funny that coming from the person who spends their life going from thread to thread, forum to forum, bitching about IB.

8. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

You have no interest in vBulletin, you made that very clear, so it seems you are just here to stir.

9. Big al

Big al Regular Member

How can you determine what he has an interest in?

License, no licence, it matters not. Everyone here has a right to post their opinion (even you) Sorry if this confuses you, but sadly for you and your pals, you do NOT control us and we can post our comments as we see fit.

Have we advanced from all being (according to you) trolls then?

Autopilot likes this.
  10. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

I have over $5,000.00 invested in vB and have had for years. You have made it clear you have no interest in telling the true so to borrow your words, shut the [****][****][****][****] up about people and things you have no clue about.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    Big al likes this.
  11. djbaxter

djbaxter Regular Member

So you are still running vBulletin on your forums? or not?

I have a decent chunk of money invested in old versions of Visual Basic, Visual C, Microsoft Office, Publisher, Money, etc., etc., but that doesn't mean I care about the fact that Office 2003 is no longer supported.

12. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

Who me? No at present they have all been moth balled.

13. djbaxter

djbaxter Regular Member

Then I fail to see how your investment is germane to the discussion... or for that matter how most of this thread is relevant to the fact that progress is being made to upgrading vBulletin 4 to newer versions of PHP.

14. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

It isn't other than being a reply to Paul.
    Because it is of interest to me to know if the PHP upgrade is is relevant to 4 or older versions. Does not running a current forum negate interest or relevance of interest?

Big al likes this.
  15. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

I don't spend my life doing that. Regardless of the time I spend actually doing it, its my full time job. Your job is suppose to be a part of a team that creates usable industry leading software and your company as a whole fails at it in every aspect.

Congrats on finally almost providing what customers need to vBulletin 4.

Big al and Autopilot like this.
  16. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

PHP 5.4 has been stable since March of 2012. That's a year and a half. In my opinion, it's unconscionable that a company cannot bring supposedly supported software (4.2) up to compatibility with the latest stable underlying software. There's just no excuse for it. The funny thing is though in that time frame yous were able to release the giant steaming pile of crap that is vBulletin 5. Refactor some code to maintain compatibility or invest hundreds maybe even thousands of development hours in a "new" product that's missing many features of the old product. Decisions Decisions.

Nope, no actual reason. I was just another one of vB's customers that recommended vBulletin time and time again as the best forum solution available and made to look like a fool by the turn of events since IB took over.

I don't want to turn this into yet another vB bashing thread however I will say your attitude wreaks of the reason why vBulletin is in the position it's in today. No respect for customers.

IB's Marketing team can talk it up all they want but my guess would be the that the only people buying vBulletin 5 are people who don't know any better. It's sad when a former leader in the market has to rely on people's ignorance to sell their latest flagship product.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    Iconic, Brandon, Big al and 1 other person like this.
  17. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Well said. The saddest part of the whole VB/IB fiasco is the attitude of the management and staff.

The words 'total incompetence' spring to mind.

18. Hoster

Hoster Regular Member

Paul, we've never addressed each other as I try to stay out of these discussions...But today seems like a good day to jump in...Believe me, I'm not jumping in to bash...I'm concerned for the vB product and in the end this is 15 minutes that I won't get back.

Let start with the obvious as I just came across this thread and sometimes we all need to go back to it. The FIRST thing I noticed is that the people involved were ALL devoted supporters of the vBulletin product. Its sad to say but that's no longer the case. I would think your first question would be why is that? These people have all invested time and money in the vB product. Starting over with a new product requires new investments in both and the carries the additional penalty of a loss in earnings during the transition. I'm fairly certain in most cases the transition was a well thought out move. Couple that with the fact that they still communicate with you,...Again, I have to think there's potential gain for vB in taking concerned position and considering both IB's needs and the needs of your customers as it should go without saying that the 2 are intertwined.

For myself, when vB releases an upgrade/product, I find myself grinding my teeth and the 4.2.2 release was no exception. Admittedly, not all the problems were vB issues but the commando release and the dire warning associated with it didn't help.

Ultimately, if you take anything back to IB, it would be that in the world of forum applications customers are not so much sold by the new brand as they are lost by the original.

Iconic, BamaStangGuy, Big al and 3 others like this.