Premium Member Subscriptions vB

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Chani, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    I'm in a quandary. Should I implement Premium accounts right when I open, or should I was a couple of weeks or a month before I do?

Right now there's not a lot of content as we haven't even opened yet, but that should change pretty quickly.

Premium members will have access to certain areas that regular members don't have, and here's where the problem is. I want those areas to have content for the Premium members to access! So if I wait, I'll essentially be taking away access from regular members, but if I implement them right away, then I'll have little or no content for them to view, and therefore, no real incentive for them to become Premium members.

Thoughts?

2. Tom

Tom Regular Member

You can allow them when you first open, but they may not get used right away.

3. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

I'd say make them inacessible right now, not even visible. Create the content as you get time or things in place needed for when it is to get rolling.

When it's ready, then implement the Premium.

This way no one knows its already there.

Might be one way to tackle it.

4. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Well, here's the thing...one of the types of areas that Premium members will have access to is basically a "finished works" area where regular members will be able to post their own threads, but they will not be able to see others' threads, but Premium members will be able to see others' threads and post their own reviews of others' finished works.

I hope that made sense...it's kinda like the Contact the Staff forum here on AA.

5. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    The main reason I want to set it up this way is theft. If people are going to steal my members' art, I want them to pay first. ;)

Of course, that's not an open-invitation for them to steal works, but it will be a deterrent for those that just sign up and pick out what they want.

Also, here's my pricing structure. Let me know if you think it's too much or too little.

1 mo.: $5.00
    3 mo.: $12.50
    6 mo.: $20.00
    1 yr.: $30.00

And I'm thinking of adding a lifetime option, too.

6. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Very well based reasoning.

What about works that are presented that are watermarked, to deter theft. An option for non-premium to have a taste of some select works chosen by the author.

Then it leads into what the benefit is for the premium level.

It seems you're in a egg vs. chicken situation.

I was thinking about this a little bit more, as it strikes something in my area, but here goes as an example:

You have designated forums or features defined for Premium level, now. With some of it to evolve as you see things go, but basically have some base down to start.

Then have subtle advertising of Premium benefits. In a way that is...get ready for the unveiling in approximately this timeframe. List some known benefits and some potential. Advertise, advertise, again with subtlety if possible. Its to make it exciting and I would look forward to that on a site of your kind.

Hope that made sense as its like a good teaser that has some concreteness to it and some imagination.

7. Tom

Tom Regular Member

The pricing structure is great, almost similar to that of AA's.

8. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Thank you. Your suggestions seem very reasonable to me. :)

I may make a small box like the welcome blocks below the header, or I may make it my signature for advertising it. I'll have to think about it a bit.

One of the prizes for the winner of my first contest will be a lifetime Premium membership, but as a promotion, I was possibly thinking of making that person the FIRST Premium member. That way, not only will it be a way of advertising it, but it will prevent from a Premium member winning what they already have (other than being lifetime...).

Yeah, that's kinda what I based mine off of. :doh:

9. Tom

Tom Regular Member

No wonder!

I think you should implement them, and let me be the first premium member. :lol:

10. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    I think what I'm going to do about forum permissions for the finished works category is make it accessible to all members, but put an announcement in those (that) forum stating that on such-and-such a date that regular registered members will not be able to view others' threads, only their own, and that only Premium and Reviewer users will be able to see all threads.

I also need to restructure my forums to work with this idea.