Pirates vs. Ninjas! vB vs. IPB! A Community Development Project

Discussion in 'Marketplace and Exchanges' started by Chani, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    I've been talking to a couple of people about this, and they seem really excited.

What's up?

I bought two domains recently that people don't seem to have any idea what to do with as mentioned in the other thread that I created.

Well, I've come up with an idea: two teams go up against each other with competing forums! One team, Team vB, would build their community with vB and any available mods or edits that they wish to use, and the other team, Team IPB, would use IPB and any available mod or edit that they'd like.

One team would take on www.FatAmericanPriates.com and the other would take fatamericanninjas.com - Cheap Domain Name Registration and Transfers, SSL certificates, whoisguard privacy protection and free domain parking

I say we use those two domains BECAUSE they're difficult to come up with uses for!

Now, I have a vB license ready and waiting, along with hosting.

I don't know which domain would be vB and which would be IPB, but these things should be decided as a GROUP, as a TEAM.

In order for this to happen we would need someone (or many someones) to donate the use of an IPB license (I'm not saying you need to give it up permanently, just that we can use it for the life of this experiment).

Teams would be made up of AA members only, and there are no limits to the number of people on a team. Remember, though...the more is not necessarily the better. ;)

Whad'ya all say? Any interest? Admins: Care to sanction this little project?

So far I have a donation of $10.00 from TomZilla that will go toward the purchase of IPB, though he's chosen to be on the vB side of this competition.

Anyone else?

Let's hear your thoughts! :D

2. Tom

Tom Regular Member

I'm really excited about this, Chani! I hope others are just as enthused as us.

3. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Hopefully if there's enough interest in this (and funding, either from members here or from advertising on each site), there will be contests and prizes. :)

4. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Naruto vs. One piece[My animefyzation of Ninjas vs. Pirates]... I take ninjas!

Very interesting concept, interested FMB is interested.

5. Tom

Tom Regular Member

+1 - woo!

6. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

LOL...this sounds like fun! :D

I'm going to love seeing the designers here on AA come up with some logos and graphics for this! LOL...if I had more time available right now I'd jump on either side of the competition, but I have literally no time right now with so many things I have in development stages. Good luck guys and gals!

7. Chris

Chris Regular Member

This is a very unique idea. If I had the time to participate, I would surely do so - perhaps I can contribute sometime in the near future. ;) Best of luck with this!

8. Ak Worm

Ak Worm Grand Master

First Name:
    Corey
    Pirates FTW! Drink worthless beer and sail in the ocean!

9. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Wow.

I just had a look at IP's site.

I guess we will definitely need community donations in order to buy IPB, or else someone will need to be ULTRA kind to donate the use of their license.

I know I'm new, so I'm not asking for money from anyone right now...more like pledges until we come up with enough to do this (and come up with the rules, teams, etc.).

You don't need to be a top poster to get in on one of the teams. I just want you to know that this will be a longer-term project (say, a year?), and people should ONLY volunteer if they are willing to stick it out and be a dedicated and useful member of one of the teams until we determine which team is the winner. :)

Oh, yeah...you also shouldn't feel you need to donate anything but your time to this. :)

So...Chris...does this mean we have the official support of the AA admins? :D

10. Chris

Chris Regular Member

You do indeed! ;)

11. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I think this is something we should endorse and really "officially" support. Chani, feel free to open a thread in the Contact the Staff forum so you can discuss this venture with us administrators. :)

12. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Chani, wouldn't it be cheaper and more of a competition to do both with vB licenses? This way it's a nice even competition from the start and you can see which team can take the competition to the next level! :)

Also, I'd limit the 'custom skins' to a certain vB or IPB skin maker and have that company/person sponsor the competition by providing a free premium pre-made skin to each team. Or, something like that.

You could also have folks that make paid mods to provide support in the way of mods, etc.

Could have some great help and sponsorship for this competition. :)

13. David

David Regular Member

Before going any further (I know you're excited and all), you need to work out all the details of how the contest will work, what its for, prizes (if any), and how the winner is declared. What commitment will be needed from those who participate, and what happens with everything at the end of the contest.

I can provide hosting for one of the sites if you need it

14. Tom

Tom Regular Member

So, how many people are game for this idea?

15. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Whoohoo! :D

Double Woohoo! :D

I've thought about this, and it's something we all need to discuss before actually launching.

You're absolutely right! We do need to create the rules and work out all of the details before launching. I'd like the entire community to come up with a consensus so that there are no questions about what the terms are. :)

And thank you for your hosting offer! :)

16. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I was thinking, why not paid forum vs. free forum? Like vB vs. MyBB? Just throwing out ideas :D

17. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Chani and I have been talking about this...

David mentioned contests and prizes. Chani and I discussed that there would be different contests, and prizes would be like money, or something of the like for the team's forum like IP.Blog, or vBadvanced for Team vBulletin, etc. Not sure who would exactly judge this, maybe the AA administration?

18. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Sounds like a good idea. I think this could be added in addition to the paid forums, if there are enough people.

In other words, if 20 people are interested in this, two teams of ten would be crowded. We could add two free forums to the mix and have four teams of 5 people.

vB vs. IP.Board (Pirates vs. Ninjas)
    phpBB vs. MyBB (subdomain.pirates vs. subdomain. Ninjas)

19. Tom

Tom Regular Member

I also mentioned phpBB vs MyBB to Fullmetalbabe.

She originally mentioned MyBB vs vB, but wouldn't it be a little unfair to have a non opensource vs. an open source script?

20. jlevi

jlevi Addict

First Name:
    Joel
    Sounds like a great idea, count me in!

Perhaps there should be a team leader to make quick decisions and organise things quickly? Members could vote for a team leader so that one isn't chosen randomly?

Just an idea.

Not sure which team to go on though...