Phbb: Free Forum

Discussion in 'phpBB Discussions' started by ChevalierDHonnuer, Oct 20, 2009.

1. ChevalierDHonnuer

ChevalierDHonnuer Newcomer

First Name:
    William
    Hello ladies and gents, my name is Will. I am a new admin, a beginner, a newbie, an amateur- if you will. I have recently registered a domain under a free web host in lieu of a project I've been working on "The Trinity War". It is a role-playing type deal, that is linked from another free web host that holds most of the information in terms of the storyline and whatnot.

I come to you in search of guidance, and assistance. One of my first questions has to do with the ranking on this "phbb" forum site. I want to use the U.S Army's ranking insignia, not all of them, but from Private, to SMA and Warrant Officer Ranks as moderator ranks, and finally, 2nd LT to Brig Gen as Admins insignia.

I have read, and attempted to emulate what other tutorials there are on this matter, however, I seem to mistaken somewhere along the line. I always get that broken page emblem, even though I have all the symbols in a specific file and copied the address bars exactly as they told me in their Tutorials.

I don't have Photoshop, to be blunt, I'm rather short on cash so I have to be cheap. That, and I'm not really accustomed to it. So please, please don't mention anything if it has to deal with Photoshop. I only have a photo editor called PhotoFiltre.

My second question, or request as it were, was to ask if anyone can re-size a few images; or how to re-size them with out them getting blurry and distorted like.

I bid you all thanks, especially to the ones that may take the time to help a newbie such as myself. :P

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  2. Rocket 442

Rocket 442 Ambitious, but Rubbish

First Name:
    Andy
    You can't link a image that is on your own PC to the site without it being uploaded somewhere first (which would be your site if you have phpBB running)

it needs to be something like:
    /images/ranks/rankname.gif

that is relative to your sites forum url.

3. ChevalierDHonnuer

First Name:
    William

So how would I get it ON my site? I haven't seen an image uploader except on my Avatar in Personal Information.

4. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Did you use Fantastico to install it?

Or did you download the package from phpBB.com and upload it to your site to install it?

Are you able to use FTP to upload to your site, or in your control panel do you have a file manager?

I know it's a lot of questions, and some might be over your head as a noob, but you will need to upload your image with a utility OUTSIDE of your forum installation, not the forum software itself.

Check in your hosting accounts control panel and look for a file manager. You can then browse to where you'd like to upload your image to on your site (like a "files" folder) and upload it with the file manager.

If you need any clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

5. ChevalierDHonnuer

First Name:
    William

First off, I didn't upload, nor download any files. The site made me make up a link with additive at the end of the URL, and it set up the forum on its own. I don't really know what FTP is to be honest with you, lol.

I found the manager file upload. I have uploaded the pictures I wanted to use, but I don't know where to get the link to direct the files once uploaded.

6. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Seems to be a hosted site.

Chev, just go to any free image host site, Photobucket, Tinypic, Imageshack, etc and put the link of the image you uploaded where you like.

7. ChevalierDHonnuer

First Name:
    William

I am attempting to use a series of U.S military ranks, as ranks for my forum goers.

However, it specifies: Rank Image (Relative to phpBB2 root path):
    Use this to define a small image associated with the rank.

It then gives me a space for which I am to place a root directory course for it to go to, in order to register the picture thus projecting the given rank with the allotted member.

I,however, don't know how to write out that directory route and link it to the files I have uploaded. : (

By the way, nice Avatar. lol

8. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Did you put your images in the same folder (or another folder in) your forum's directory (in other words, when you uploaded your images, are they in the folder named "thetrinitywar" or "thetrinitywar/files" or something similar to that?

If they are in a folder within your forum's directory, then the path would be "files/yourimagename.gif" (or jpg or png). Basically, you would just remove "thetrinitywar" from your path, so if it were in "thetrinitywar/files/images/yourimagename.gif" and it would be "files/images/yourimagename.gif".

I hope that makes some sort of sense... :)

9. tcindia123

tcindia123 Guest

u can upload it on your server or use image hosting sites like photobucket[dot]com

10. eVoXTRM

eVoXTRM Newcomer

phpbb3 is good but it reqiures a lot of coding.