People replying to the notification email

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Abomination, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Drives me nuts.

I've got no desire to read peoples PMs but occasionally people reply to the notification email instead of logging in and replying to a PM.

Then I get that email and have to reply to that email 'don't do that, they did not get your message'.

Anyone else ever get those?

2. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I get them all the time, and have set things up in my email client so I have a stock reply ready.

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Yes, this happens all the time. My memberbase consists mainly of some elders and other computer-illiterate groups (mainly) so the huge warning that looks a little something like:
    ... doesn't seem to do the trick. :lol:

I have avoided this problem quite easily, by removing the contents of the PM from the e-mail. This way, users have to log into their account to even read the PM and will therefore reply to it the proper way.

If you don't know how to do that, you can do so by editing the phrases in the vB AdminCP.

4. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I wouldn't want to remove the entire contents of the PM, I'd like to truncate it so that there's enough to get them interested in the post, but not enough that they can read all of it.

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Hm, I wonder if there is a way to do that. Maybe Wayne can shed some light on this. If not, you could ask at his vB customization site, vBCodex. If you don't have an account there, I'd be glad to ask for 'ya. :)

6. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

My users are sorta ok, not terrible with computers but not great either.

Right now it is happening about 1/month. If it gets worse I'll follow up on your idea. Thanks!

7. Imperial

Imperial Adept

I find that I usually get the most email replies to the Happy Birthday emails. Doesn't really bother me since most people are happy that someone (even if its just the forum software) remembered them.

8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Yeah, I get those as well, and it's not a problem at all. Most of the time I get a nice, "Thank you so much!" Other times it's, "Take me off your mailing list." :giggle:

9. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I've just removed the text snippet from the email notice this way people aren't prown to reply to it as if it were an email.

On thread reply notices sometimes people email me there reply I normally just send back a form email telling them they need to reply on the thread and not to my inbox. :)

10. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I just searched vB.org just in case and didn't see anything applicable, so I posted a message on vBCodex. We'll see what happens!

11. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    my notification emails dont contain the contents of the message, so they have to log in and read it, although people reply to the other emails i send out through the forum

12. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I wish the content was in the AA emails TBH :(

13. fattony69

fattony69 Regular Member

We need a modification that allows users to reply via emails.

14. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I'm not sure that would be a good idea. Maybe you'd get more replies that way, but you'd probably get fewer pageviews.

15. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Interesting to note.

I just sent my first PM on WHT, and the reply contained the contents of the PM. WHT is a highly modified site, which I find quite interesting. Perhaps the staff needs to read those when only email is available?