Over Competitive Forums?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Kaiser, Jun 9, 2011.

1. drummerboy

drummerboy Regular Member

I agree, you should not intentionally ban someone for owning a type of Forum you do not like!

db

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Well you are wrong, they own a similar type of forum so that's why they Ban, not for disliking the type of the forum because they have the same type if you get what I am trying to say.

3. drummerboy

drummerboy Regular Member

Oh okay, my bad I misunderstood... but I still agree haha!

db

4. SpacewardAsh

SpacewardAsh Lurking From Space

First Name:
    Ashley
    OK, Freeforums.org used to have a sticky within their promotion section supporting TAZ, this sticky mysteriously disappeared a while back...

Kaiser likes this.
  5. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

Weird. They haven't by chance stopped supporting TAZ, have they? Although I wouldn't be too surprised; haven't been reading too many good reviews on TAZ lately, especially with the way they've been running their site and banning competitor sites these days.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Ah okay I see, they now have a sticky supporting another admin forum which is very much dead.
    Let them run their forum that way, they are just digging their own grave by doing that. I would expect much more from the owner considering he is 50 years old. Competition should be that last of his worries with a big forum like that.

Ashley.S. likes this.
  7. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

In my honest opinion, competition between so called "rival" forums should be the least of any sensible forum owner's worries. Really, you're not exactly running a sticking company. If you are truly doing this as a hobby, it should be treated like one.

Ashley.S. and Kaiser like this.
  8. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Hey Ashley, I completely agree. Competition is the last of my worries, I enjoy running AdminBB and helping others and that's what its all about.

Ashley.S. and Ashley like this.
  9. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

And I meant to put "stinking" not "sticky". My bad!

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

No problem, didn't even notice it.

11. Shortie861

Shortie861 Regular Member

Known this to happen quite a few times. When I first started out with my own forums there was another admin on another forum whom I had met through a forum I used to use. He had heard I had set up my own forum and came looking, next thing he had set up his own forum, same genre, similar name and similar layout as mine. I attempted to register at his forum and his answer to it was to ban me. Can never understand people whom get so competitive over forum running, always better to work together than to compete, it's up to the user what forum they wish to use at the end of the day.

Kaiser likes this.
  12. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Forums like that never last anyway, and if they do they will just be very dead. I agree, I much rather have a partnership/good understanding then competing with other forums. I don't run a forum for competition but I run it because of the passion and enjoyment.

Ashley.S. likes this.
  13. Kevin X Dragon

Kevin X Dragon Regular Member

I understand if a small forum does not allow anyone to advertise a forum of the same niche, but for big forum, like TAZ, to do that is just sad. It make them look insecure and greedy.

Kaiser likes this.
  14. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Competitor forums were never allowed to be discussed or talked about on TAZ where all the smaller admin forums allow it to an exint. I think they do it because they don't want their members finding out about the other admin forums. They're just digging their own hole that way, but then again, they don't care.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

I agree, and that's exactly what they are.. big forums shouldn't be worrying about competitors and specially competition from small forums that stand no chance.

16. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

Yeah, they are basically digging their own grave if they go at this pace, because like Kaiser said, once a forum gets big enough and active enough, then they shouldn't have to worry about these so-called competitors. I agree that it is sad, but unfortunately, that's also the way of things in the foruming world with many admins: You advertise a competitive forum, you're screwed. It's stupid is what it is.

17. WhosJose

WhosJose Regular Member

My opinion is; don't advertise in someone else's house and respect all guest. Forums are meant to unite users across the internet with one common goal, share information. People are known to be greedy, so its not really surprising when owner's take advantage for their position. It honestly does suck, but there isn't much we can do.

18. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Well, they've been digging their grave when their old administrator quit, and moved on to make her own forum... Too many ideas and rules over there, and users leave to more better admin forums - that aren't strict on the rules.

@WhosJose Good point, but asking a community, "Hey what do you guys think about my admin forum?" its not bad. Its when you advertise through various methods where the other admin forum gets mad - but the fact is, this is the internet, other sites exist. You can decide on your own either to block the talk of them, or let it be expressed freely. It's content, it's a win for that bigger place.

19. WhosJose

WhosJose Regular Member

Honestly, yes it is bad. I believe asking members including using a private method to get across is bad. If one is trying to use another person's community to achieve anything it should be done with the community's owner terms. You shouldn't receive any special treatment just because you are the owner of a community. If you are trying to advertise then you post it in the public as what it is, an ad. Asking members to discuss your community in my community is perhaps the worst thing anyone can do.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Well that's not the case if you read through this thread.