Open X

Discussion in 'Monetization Techniques' started by Nick, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Anybody use OpenX? I just signed up, but I'm not sure how to use it. It is really confusing at first. :speechless:

Can I use it to display ads on my sites and earn money? I just need some basic info and instructions for dummies (like myself). :P

Thanks!

2. Rizzo

Rizzo Regular Member

I tried it for about 3 days. Friggin' useless and was very unhappy with their support. They kept telling me to ring, and i kept explaining i was in New Zealand and couldn't afford an international toll call. I gave up in the end.

3. kev

kev Regular Member

I tried to install the self hosted open x, and the install script could not read the permission on the folders properly. So I signed up for the open x hosted at the open x home page - very confusing to say the least.

I never could figure it out and finally gave up.

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Well it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who is confused (perhaps beyond rescue... :P).

5. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    I use it and have been very happy with it. Now I did have assitance in the inital setup from someone experienced with the product. He gave me a quick once through after initial configuration and I've not had a question since.

6. Bryce

Bryce Regular Member

I just installed it for some weird reason lol. I don't even have a site to put it to use and test it out. But, the install was easy, to me at least. Had no help setting it up and it took less than 2 minutes.

7. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    The install is quite simple, the configuration can be a bit maddening.

8. Bryce

Bryce Regular Member

I noticed that. Went in and did a test campaign, but couldn't never figure out how to add the zone for it lol. Something I'll play around with for when my community picks up and there's a point to advertising.

9. Rocket 442

Rocket 442 Ambitious, but Rubbish

First Name:
    Andy
    It is hard to get used to the setup when first starting with it.

For some reason none of the Ad Managment systems are very user friendly. Google Ad Manager is twice as bad setting up as OpenX. I use openX right now but want to swtch to Google Ad Manager if I can get it set up to do so correctly.

10. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I've been using openx for a few years and love it
    I strongly suggest installing it on your own server
    we had issues with the openx hosted setup slowing our site down.
    Host it yourself and you know it'll be up.

11. Nick

Nick Regular Member

So how does OpenX work? You select categories, and advertisements from the network are displayed in the slots you put on your site? Or is it just a way to manage advertisers that manually come to you?

12. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    I use it to mange my advertisers. Don't know if you can pull from ad networks or not, never explored that possibility.

13. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXmihAVwdXc"]YouTube- How To Use OpenX[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDku54wXumU"]YouTube- Introduction to OpenX[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acSlXlj5oKE"]YouTube- OpenX Advertiser SetUp[/ame]

here are a few videos

2 people like this.
  14. Zash

Zash Regular Member

I use the self-hosted software for dealing with my own website's advertisements, and it's by far the best ad serving software I know - and free!

I mean, the features are endless: CPM/CPC/CPA ads, delivery capping, advanced reporting, geotargeting, keyword targetting, priority ads, etc.

15. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Okay, now that I have figured out what OpenX even is (I originally thought it was an ad network like Google AdSense, for example) I have been able to quickly and easily set it up. I'm planning to use it to serve ads here rather than manually editing the templates every time I need to add/remove an advertiser.

I have a question though: Is there a way to add multiple ads per zone, and have them all displayed?

For example, I set up a zone named "sidebar" and put that invocation code in a test html page. I created two advertisers, each with their own campaign. I linked both campaigns to the "sidebar" zone. The thing is that instead of both of them displaying where the invocation code is, only one displays at a time, and they are randomly displayed for each page load. Sometimes it's advertiser 1, other times ad #2 shows up.
    Is there a way to have both of them displayed simultaneously, and keep them in the same zone?

16. Zash

Zash Regular Member

You could just place two codes next to each other?

17. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Hm, that pretty much defeats the purpose then because I'll 1) have to create a new sidebar zone for each advertisement, and then 2) edit the templates each time to add the new invocation code. So it's actually more work than I currently am doing. :shrug:

18. Zash

Zash Regular Member

I see what you mean now. Yea, you will need a new code for every sidebar ad, just like you would need a new code for any advertisement. However, once you add them, you can leave them there and just change them from your Admin CP (plus you get reporting as well).

19. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    yes you can stack ads
    here are 2 ways
    Stacking Ads - OpenX Community Forums
    I'd go with the single page call method

20. Zash

Zash Regular Member

Ooh that's smart. However, ads will rotate around (not a problem, unless you don't want that).