Online Reputation

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by Dreek Lass, May 28, 2013.

1. Dreek Lass

Dreek Lass Regular Member

Hey guys.

Depending on what type of site or blog you have, different kinds of attention or online or offline press can effect the site either negatively or positively. Someone once asked me, when I was in the middle of an argument with someone on my forum, if I would rather have good press or bad press for my online site, because either way it may get people talking. I said that I would rather them say nothing at all about it, rather than it attracting bad press.

He disagreed and said that he would rather his site be getting some type of buzz than none at all.

What do you think? Would you rather bad press or would you rather nothing be said at all?

2. Zerth

Zerth Regular Member

Hmm, well if they talk about your site in a 'negative' way then it will definitely be a bad thing. Because these 'negative' talk can spread which will make your site unappealing, therefore reducing the amount of visitors visiting your site.
    Although, if there is some sort of 'buzz' you may get more views, but in the end, it'll turn out bad.

Dreek Lass and Big al like this.
  3. andyred

andyred Regular Member

If you got some Bad Chat going it might get Indexed in the Search Engines, then when someone Searches your site or search keyword, that Thread may end up being at the top of the list of searches if it has received a lot of attention. This won't look good on you or your site for newcomers.

Big al likes this.
  4. Dreek Lass

Dreek Lass Regular Member

Yes, this is what I said, but he wouldn't listen. Yes, there were a lot of views for the keywords that were on the page, but I am not sure if I personally would want to stick around on a forum that made its first impression on me via negativity, despite whether the site was a good site overall, which the site was a good site overall.

I will be happy to let my friend know what you said lol.

5. Zerth

Zerth Regular Member

Lol, very true, you wouldn't really want to stick on a forum which has some bad chats with it. Besides it would drag the whole forum down even if it was a good site.

And alright :P

6. ConfabIt

ConfabIt Regular Member

I'd rather my site have a good reputation right off the bat, because then we get the right type of people. There's plenty of sites out there with a bad reputation and with bad people; I want to steer clear of that!

7. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Good press and bad press is good for your site though. Any type of publicity can drive traffic for you.

8. Stockgenius

Stockgenius Regular Member

I agree with you that I would rather have nothing to be said at all. However, I can see your friend's point of view. Any bad press is still some sort of attention and it can help you gain some viewers. Whether that is a good way to get some permanent visitors is up for debate, but I would rather not have bad press on my forum or blog.

That is the way I look at it.