On the verge of quitting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Nick, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Have you ever been there? Sometimes we get so fed up with things; perhaps our community hasn't taken off and it's just sitting there while you invest hours per day into building the site.

How do you reclaim yourself and not just give up and quit?

2. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt! When the site was less than a year old, too much was going on in my life and some user issues were happening on my site and I had enough. I asked my other admin to help out, he wouldn't, so I told Staff that someone else needed to take over the site. One Mod said he would, my other admin did NOT get along with that Mod, so the admin quit, and I knew there was no way I could hand the site over to that Mod anyway (he would have taken the site into the wrong direction and killed it). So, I said thanks, but no thanks. He quit too. Yeah, things were just getting better and better. :) I told Staff I needed a few weeks off to think things over, took the time off, and when I came back, I was OK. That's what they get for having a female run the site! :D

3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Oh yes, on Pisoga MANY times. I get bashed too much there and it frustrates me at times, but then I think that people do need me and I just regain again all the energy to hold all those bashing.

4. Blackout

Blackout Addict

First Name:
    Jacob
    Plenty of time. Especially when I'm investing money into a community, money that is earned through much hard work and is not wasted. I've found it hard to go on. I have a life and it's hard to take away time from that to work on the site and keep it updated. It's the staff in the end who keep me going. They enjoy the site and love being members of the staff. Each one works hard to help the community be all that it can be.

5. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

uh huh. More times than I care to remember.

6. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Ditto. :yes:

Usually its ungrateful, moaning members that bug me.

I just take a break, go for a walk or something, all all is ok again later. :)

7. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Same =|

8. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    Why, you looking to unload a forum :D

Seriously, it gets some what depressing when I stop and think about the money I've sunk into my community with very few active members. But I'm determined!

9. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

AA is a good place to hang out when needing a break from my forum :thumbup:

10. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Have I ever been on the verge of quitting? Absolutely. Have I ever gone through with doing so? Absolutely not.

I think that, at some point, all administrators feel the ever-so-odd sensation of being "crushed" by the pressure(s) being pushed onto them. Even the largest of boards become inactive at times - it's a natural occurrence and it's somewhat inevitable. After having a bad day (activity-wise), the feeling of "failure" is almost always lurking in your mind, somewhere around the corner. You immediately begin comparing that day's activity levels with that of another day - one that was extremely active. It's an automatic human reaction.

The solution to such a feeling is the following: remembering the dedication, passion, and drive that you have for the community. If necessary, take some time off - it'll do you good.

11. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I haven't yet felt like quitting, but there have been plenty of times when I just needed to log off and take a long break.