Old topic for new discussion

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Austin01, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Austin01

Austin01 Regular Member

If you have a lot of older topics on your forum from the previous year (2010), would you consider bumping them to create new discussion? Or just trash and restart them?

2. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius Regular Member

If you don't have a lot of newer discussions, then I would rouse them. But never delete them.

3. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I'd bump them if you feel you can add more to the discussion. Personally I bump threads that I feel will get more people replying. After all, new members sometimes don't find the old threads.

4. SpacewardAsh

SpacewardAsh Lurking From Space

First Name:
    Ashley
    No harm in giving them a bump as long as your still contributing to the discussion :)

5. Joe.

Joe. Regular Member

Well the 2nd route seems a little spammy. Trashing a thread only to restart it & have the same conversation again. Assuming you don't delete the original thread & keep it in a trash forum.

Anyway, I bump old topics all the time. Its great to revive old discussions & get new people involved.

6. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

Same as Ash. We don't have a rule against bumping up old topics. As long as you have something relevant to say that goes along with the topic at hand, then I have no problem with people bringing it back up. Heck, the same would apply even if I'd had a forum that's been up since 2005. As long as the discussion is relevant, then I see no problem with bumping up old topics. Why some forums are ridiculously strict with this I'll never know.

Ashley.S. likes this.
  7. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

I would bump them but of course not with some useless post which wouldn't contribute much. I would never trash a topic just for being old..

Ashley.S. likes this.
  8. Zlasarma

Zlasarma Regular Member

I would bump them somehow but I would never delete them :)

9. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

If it was a debate about something, and I stated my opinion on the topic last year let's say, but my opinion changed over time, then I would bump it up to say what I think now if my opinion changed from this time a year ago. Really, there's no point in creating loads of new topics, and it's just stupid that so many sites are strict about this.

10. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Ya, its always nice to bring up old topics - because new users may have never came across them, and then, the flow of content continues. Old posts should be bumped anyways - because, you want the search engines to crawl fresh content. Why leave old posts sitting if you can carry on more conversations?

11. Wraige

Wraige Regular Member

Yeah it doesn't hurt to bump things that are worth bringing back in my opinion.