Oh, oh...my members and mods are starting to like IPB better than vB

Discussion in 'IP.Board Discussions' started by ArnyVee, Nov 14, 2009.

1. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Just wanted to give everyone some feedback from a "user" standpoint. I've already started getting some really good and positive feedback about the IPB suite as opposed to vB. :speechless:

They like that it really seems more like a full "community" software (I picked up a 'suite') and that they like the cohesiveness of the software. :)

Anyone else have thoughts to share on the IPB software and your member's comments about it?

2. Mike

Mike Adept

First Name:
    Mike
    Arny, I had a couple of members gripe about not being able to find things after switching to IPB. Other than that, everyone is loving it.

I was dreading how many complaints I would have to deal with, but the approvals far out-weigh any negative reaction. I know I like IPB a lot more. I used vB for nearly five years and it was OK, but with my own feelings added to those of my members, I know converting to IPB was a definite step in the right direction.

It's good to hear you're getting the same reactions. Congratulations on making the move.

3. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

My members emphatically do not like IPB and insisted that we stay with vBulletin - after speaking to Ray Morgan that was a decision I was happy to endorse.

4. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I didn't know what to expect, but it was definitely an upgrade to the software I was using for that site and I've had a few folks suggest to switch from vBulletin to IPB.

I'm not ready to make that move yet overall as I'm going to keep using IPB and see how things go over the next few months.

5. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    As I stated on WHT, I don't recommend vB users who have more than 1 license to transfer out to IPB all of a sudden. Just do it one at a time, or just use both. Always want to have a backup.

6. Lucas

Lucas Addict

First Name:
    Lucas
    I feel kind of lost, what would a "backup" license be for?

7. Nick

Nick Regular Member

If you decide IP.Board isn't right for you, or your members reject it, then you have something to fall back on.

8. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I converted 2 communities to IPB. The users actually prefer it to vbulletin. Not one complaint and business is as usual.

I am in the process of converting another site. The admins and mods have never worked with anything but vbulletin. I set up a test instance with imported data from the live site for them to play with. The feedback I'm getting from them is everything in the admincp is much easier to navigate. They are impressed with the suite that we will install. I also installed the vb4 beta suite for them to compare. I gave them a choice of keeping vbulletin or switching to IPB. I told them whatever they decide is fine. All of them see that switching to IPB is the best choice.

9. Mike

Mike Adept

First Name:
    Mike
    The moderators on my sites were all enthusiastic about switching to IPB, as well.

It's certainly a gamble to change boats, but in my case all four communities have reacted positively. <touching wood to not jinx myself>

Traffic seems stable, new registrations seem stable and after the first 48 hours on each site, posting seems to be stable. Interestingly enough, my ads are suddenly producing more revenue, which is a good thing too!

I'm with AWS, it's business as usual.

10. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    With anyone who has switched from vB to IPB, can you tell me the advantages (other than easier navigation, which seems to be a theme), such as features? I'd honestly like to know, because if IPB has what I need, I may get a couple of licenses.

11. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Hm, IPB has a built-in spam monitor: Invision Power - Community Forum, Blog, Gallery, CMS, and more - Spam Monitoring Service ; they have built-in OpenID and Facebook login integration; lots of other cool stuff: Invision Power - Community Forum, Blog, Gallery, CMS, and more - IP.Board 3 Feature Tour - Look & Feel

12. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Thanks, Nick.

I would like to know other's who have made the switch opinions and thoughts, tho. Real-world experience vs a company selling their own product. :)

13. Mike

Mike Adept

First Name:
    Mike
    Chani, the most common complaint I heard from vB users was that IPB's Admin CP was lame.

Absolutely not so. Yes, it is different. Yes, it takes a couple days to get used to how different it is. From there, it only takes a couple more minutes to really appreciate how well it works. The Admin CP was one of the biggest reasons I wanted to switch.

I've also been pleasantly surprised to see the new IPB URLs being indexed as quickly as they have been. After coming from vBSEO, I wasn't expecting to see such positive results.

14. Grizzly

Grizzly Regular Member

I recently made a switch from MyBB to IPB on my advertisement forum. I don't have many members yet as it's still a young forum (less than a week old) but I've only had one complaint, and that was because the kid thinks IPB is ugly compared to MyBB (he's quite wrong lol) and because he's so used to IPB. The rest love it.

15. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Have to say, if your site's been open less than a week then people won't really have got used to the original software let alone the new.

It's very different if, like many of us, you've used a particular software for many years with an active, thriving and mature community, and then are faced with switching software.

16. Grizzly

Grizzly Regular Member

Most of my members are from a site I used to run before selling, and also a support site we are all on (as well as a couple other sites I've run over the last year or so). I've been using MyBB for the sites for quite some time, and the other sites that people come from have been on MyBB. I think people are just afraid of change.

17. kaambiz

kaambiz Novice

First Name:
    kaambiz
    Ehhh, some of'em have complaints which most of them are acceptable. For example one of the things almost 95% of our members (including myself!) miss from vB is the ability to quot a message via quick reply. other than that nothing serious.

18. Raina

Raina Newcomer

All I can say is, IPB is much more sexier to skin and vB looks like the same crap for each release.