Odd Ad Inquiry

Discussion in 'Monetization Techniques' started by Nick, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Somebody recently contacted me asking to advertise on AA. I find it to be an odd request though, because they want a text link on the homepage only, and to link to an online tax filing service.

Here's a portion of the e-mail:
    Is this some kind of scheme to mooch our PageRank or gain a quality backlink, or what? I have no idea what to make of this.

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

It could simply be an inquiry made in desperation for advertisement and promotion on their end. What's odd is that the subject matter of the ad has absolutely no correlation with that of this community. :confused:

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Exactly. That's why I don't get why they would want to advertise for any reason other than PR/backlink-mooching. :shrug:

They offered $15/month, and I replied stating that since the subject matter of their site has nothing to do with this one, the offer would need to be much higher. The last thing I want is for this site to have ads from completely unrelated services.

4. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Oddly enough there were 3 tax filing ads by google at the bottom of this thread before I clicked 'Post Reply'.

Did they state what they wanted the anchor text url to go to?
    Was it a tax service?

People/advertisers are a strange breed sometimes. They ask for some strange things for strange reasons. I would not automatically assume there is any malicious or clear thinking is involved.

5. fattony69

fattony69 Regular Member

You could relate it.

Forums that make money.

Money requires taxes

They do tax services.

Just saying of course.

6. Webmist

Webmist Champion

First Name:
    Jen
    They maybe using AA for keyword affiliation too.