Not sure what to do?

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by BabyDesigner, Sep 1, 2009.

1. BabyDesigner

BabyDesigner Adept

First Name:
    Meg
    Edited and removed by poster - resolved

2. David

David Regular Member

Okay,

If a guest can't view a thread, then just because someone was given a link to that thread, doesn't mean they'll be able to see it. If they are registered and accessing threads and you know they are up to no good, ban them its that simple.

Honestly the post confuses me, I can't tell if this suspect IP address you think is leeching your idea's/content is a registered user, or if this person was given someone elses account to share, or if this suspect IP was merely a guest and not logged in?

3. BabyDesigner

BabyDesigner Adept

First Name:
    Meg
    Thought it may be confusing

4. David

David Regular Member

Do you have adsense on your forum by chance?

Edit: Cancel that I see you don't.

The only suggest I have is to either remove that users permissions or make it miserable for them to be on your site if they aren't contributing anything and just giving out links.

5. darklyght

darklyght Newcomer

What I would do...do nothing. If your forum really has such competition, there are other ways to win it. You could offer unique content that only your forums has. Secondly, you can also register in the competing forum and check if they really are backstabbing you.

Gather some evidence that they cannot deny by checking out if your content is stolen and posted on the other forum.

2 people like this.
  6. BabyDesigner

BabyDesigner Adept

First Name:
    Meg
    Its not really that they are stealing my content.

7. darklyght

darklyght Newcomer

I think that's what you should do...there's nothing to compete anyway. Hers is a paid membership forum. Both of you are not sharing the same pool of users.

So just relax...this is nothing to be annoyed about.

8. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

Here's what I have learned. The more energy I waste worrying about what others are stealing from me, the less energy I have to be the brilliant forum that others want to copy.

:devil:

Karma.

Just be you, with positive and happy intent and the rest will follow.

9. BabyDesigner

BabyDesigner Adept

First Name:
    Meg
    Totally agree with you Peacelily

10. RockinRobbins

RockinRobbins Adept

First Name:
    Renee
    Hi Baby!

I know saying that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery doesn't give you the same satisfaction as "accidently" finding a way to take down her site would, however it is true. Obviously you've got some good ideas for your niche. Congrats on that.

One suggestion that I could offer is to work on some things that she can't neccesarily see that you are changing. For example, the Search Engine Optimization of your site. I did a search for "Parental Forum" and "Parent Discussion Board" and didn't get your site on either of the first two pages. This way you are driving more traffic to your site and it isn't anything that the other girl can copy.

Hope that helps!
    RR

11. Broadsword

Broadsword Newcomer

First Name:
    Martin
    I would take it as flattery that they want to copy your ideas. Content is hard to protect unless you have a creative license or similar and you can prove that they have copied it verbatum, say a review of something. Consider this the number of times you have found something great and said, "id like to do that" and you have gone ahead and done it without thinking. Whenever I find a great review for instance I always credit the origional author or post a link to the site telling others where I have found the information.

The long and short of it is don't worry about it, if they cant do anything without copying others then mores the pity for them for their lack of imagination or drive. If you are realy pissed about it ban the member and their IP and move on. Viewing URL's as a guest should not give them acces to something you have blocked through the permissions mask, they will just get the "Register or login to view" page.

You can read more about creative licensing here : Creative Commons

2 people like this.
  12. kev

kev Regular Member

This is all very normal internet activity. I belong to just about every forum that I compete against. Its no big deal.

If you really want to blow them out of the water, do something they cant. Open a blog on your site, open a youtube channel, do interviews with professionals in your field,,,, and see what your competition does then.

In other words, blaze a path so rough, that few would dare to follow.

The more time you spend looking at what other people are looking at - the less time you have to look forward. I only know one direction, and that is forward. If people want to look at something, they can look at my butt as I pass them up.