No monitors during BIOS

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by David, Nov 3, 2009.

1. David

David Regular Member

For the life of me I'm 100% stumped on this one.

I moved my computers location (from office, to house in preparation of winter working from home), previously everything worked fine.

Now, during the BIOS stage of my PC booting, I have no monitor displaying the output of everything. After it gets to the windows 7 login screen everything is fine.

Here's what I've tried.

1. Reset MoBo BIOS using the jumper (Still nothing)
    2. Removed battery from MoBo for 15 minutes while unplugged (Still Nothing)
    3. Removed one video card, and tested with only one installed. (I did this twice, once for each card, and still nothing)

Now, I'm completely perplexed at what might be causing this or how to fix it. Like i said before moving it, everything was fine, and after BIOS/POST messages, everything is fine as well.

:shrug:

ASUS P6T Deluxe
    Intel i7 920

2. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Regular Member

#1 and #2 should both be done together for complete and total effectiveness, and they should (obviously) be done while your computer is unplugged.

In MOST cases this will solve the problem, but ask yourself this if they don't:
    I've had this happen more than once, and it's always been a rather annoying thing to investigate. The best approach?

Step 1: Strip everything but the CPU and fans from the board (yes, that includes memory). Take the cables with the related devices, and all plugins

Step 2: Reset the BIOS completely (play with jumper and battery) with the computer unplugged. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, it should beep abnormally when it comes back (once)

Step 3: Plug in only the card and memory (one stick). If it works from there, keep adding devices one at a time until you know where the problem is. Don't plug the keyboard and mouse in until the last 2.

3. paulh

paulh Novice

off the cuff unreferenced suggestion

has your motherboard got onboard graphics which has become reset in the BIOS to be the primary graphics port? so it is pumping BIOS data to an unused port which is corrected as soon as the boot HDD with XP starts and then the correct stuff is pumped to the PCI-E

haven't looked up the spec of your mb so this is just guesswork