New .secure Internet Domain On Tap

Discussion in 'Web Development and Programming' started by Brandon, May 14, 2012.

1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    A new top-level domain (TLD) in the works for the Internet will bake security in from the outset: The .secure domain will require fully encrypted HTTPS sessions and a comprehensive vetting process for websites and their operators. If the new domain takes off, it could shift the way Web domains are secured.

It's basically a "safe neighborhood" on the Net, its creators say, and is one of the first next-generation TLDs to emerge from the new Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) program that opens up the TLDs beyond the 21 existing global domains that include .com, .org, .net, and .edu. Artemis Internet Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of NCC Group plc, has applied with ICANN for the new .secure domain in the competition for thousands of new TLDs aimed at better classifying companies and people by industry, interest, or location.

"'Effortless security' is our tagline," says Alex Stamos, CTO at Artemis. "Right now, when you go to .com, you have to look for five different visual clues to figure out what's going on" security-wise, Stamos says. "If you type .secure, you're telling the server or organization that you want to communicate with that you want to be safe and expect them to be as safe as possible. All of that security stuff is taken care of for you."

http://www.darkreading.com/authenti...87/new-i-secure-i-internet-domain-on-tap.html

benjaminp and cpvr like this.
  2. benjaminp

benjaminp Regular Member

I quite like the idea behind it. I have lots of friends and family who use computers, but have no idea what to look for in terms of site security.

cpvr and Brandon like this.
  3. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Excellent idea, I like this one. Thanks for sharing @Brandon

4. MustangV10

MustangV10 Regular Member

Don't see the point in it myself; it's too long for a TLD extension.

5. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I think it's pretty long as well, and I don't really see the need for it either to be honest.