New Photographer

Discussion in 'Skinning, Design and Graphics' started by Caron, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Caron

Caron Regular Member

My parents just bought this new camera and I thought I would take a little stroll through the woods to see what I could come up with. Now, these are nothing special since I've never done anything like this before, but it may be something I would love to pick up.

Dying Yellow Flower :

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p72_Nayr303_Dyingyellowflower.jpg

Inside of a fallen tree :

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p72_Nayr303_FallenTree.jpg

And a trespassing sign. :terror:

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p72_Nayr303_TrespassingSign.jpg

-----
    Like I said, thought I would try something new. Any suggestions on how to improve my shots would be awesome. I know it's not much, but I'm using a Fuji Finepix J10 digital camera. As you can tell, it's not professional. :tongue:

2. mthrlangl

mthrlangl Regular Member

I certainly don't have any advice for you, but I really like the No Trespassing sign :)

3. monsieurjohn

monsieurjohn Regular Member

very nice!

photography is something that can be enjoyable at almost any level, and at almost any cost... i'd recommend checking out a few issues of popular photography at the library, if only to see what other photographers are doing. that can be a great springboard.

4. Caron

Caron Regular Member

Well, I'm glad you guys liked it. I was kind of skeptical of putting them up since I'm not really a photograhper so to speak, but maybe I'll keep wandering around looking for new things to take.

Thanks!

5. Luciann

Luciann Regular Member

Caron

photography is alot like poetry (as per our other discussion)...

the shots were very nice (i really liked the stump with the webs and all on and around it), they were clear, in focus etc...you will have to play around with it until you find your own style..but like MJ said check out some of the photo mags at the library and see what others are doing and what tips they offer...

i havea sony cybershot camera and thou i cannot really do macros or true close ups i have fun with it and by no means am i any good at it but i get some great snap shots...

you could always go check out flickr and see what others are doing there...and you can get a free account and ask questions there as well..just keep in mind that everyone has an opinion

6. Panache

Panache Regular Member

Great shots, Caron! I really like the closeup of the flower.
    I myself got a camera as a gift, and am new at photography. I find the best way to fine-tune your skills is to just play around with it for a while. They also sell books on digital photography, which go more into the technical aspect of it (like using the settings on your camera to achieve a certain effect, for example)
    You also want to find what things you like to specifically photograph, like if you prefer nature scenes, portraits of people, etc, and like Luciann said, it's important to also find your own style.
    And checking out the photo magazines is a good idea, too.
    Have fun with your new hobby! :)

7. spidergoolash

spidergoolash Regular Member

i really like your photos :)

picture-taking has been like therapy for me lately. i'm not the best at it (nor is my camera) but i enjoy it. i also love putting them up on flickr. the feedback i get is somewhat addicting.

i have almost 2,000 pictures on the site now. my family members check in often to reminisce and comment.

8. Caron

Caron Regular Member

Thanks Spider, glad you like them. I haven't really been able to get out and take any lately. Although, there have been a few times where I wish I took my camera with me.