New Blog: "Our vision for vBulletin"

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Mark.B, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Posted just now by Bob Briscoe.

awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_ce75ab4b907e4a351df8e3a5b91cc92b.gif

2. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Words don't impress me. That's my closing statement.

3. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Honestly....really, such an annoucement is really, at best, a MONTH too late.

/close tab

4. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

But perhaps...better late than never?

Maybe these recent activities are a sign they realise their public face has been perhaps lacking and they are trying to be more open in sharing their vision for the company and the brand?

It is actually good to see their vision for the brand - after all, it's be a bit poor if a company called "Internet Brands" didn't have a vision for, um, an internet brand it owns.

5. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

This is what you call a "this situation is blowing up in our faces announcement". A kind of, this wouldn't have been posted had the wave of customers and 3rd party sites not given such negative exposure they didn't want.

Maybe there's some truth in there but we can take from that announcement that it was made due to the array of customers showing concerned.

6. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Respectfully, that is a poor excuse...

Some would call it plainly...damage control. How long ago did IB buy Jelsoft again? (hint, and I know you are aware of that Mark.B)

People for the last year or so had been asking what the vision was as it related specifically to vb4. Therefore, that is implicit with the company vision and mission statement. Moreover, since it's obviously a company that has been running a large market share of internet media, one can frankly expect nothing less than proper Announcements of a large product unveiling.

It's really that simple. This is damage control much too late, I can guarantee you that it was never intended to be communicated in view of the uproar, description of customer experiences, blogs, sites, etc. all aimed at flogging the incomprehensible acts by vBS.

7. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

I agree that it's possibly something of a face saving exercise...but the way I see it, even the fact that they might be acknowledging they need one should be seen as positive.

We've been telling them they should communicate a bit more and not be so secretive, so this is a step along that road.

8. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

You are quite possibly right. I'd be the last person to pretend everything was wonderful and I hope I don't come across that way. But as I said above, if this *is* damage control then at least they'd be acknowledging there was damage.

If you isolate the comments about development and direction from all the furore about licensing and bans, they are spot on. I never had a problem with that side of it, so it's good to see them pushing it a bit more. I like the new direction, a bit less "teenage social networking" and a bit more "integrated community solution". I never liked the Social Networking direction vB was going in. This is much better.

9. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

And that is why I'm hanging out on vb today, to test the "What's New" button, it does not show the blogs. I'll go read that now. Then the rest of this thread.

10. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    heres my comment to mr brisco:

11. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Did he actually say anything? :confused:

It appeared to be many statements that were quite obvious to anyone that was reading the forums.

He did indicate more information was forthcoming, but that seems a bit obvious too.

:confused:

12. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    They teach you how to speak in generalities when going for MBA. Once you reach executive management circles you are taught the elusive art of saying a lot without saying anything.

13. Haltech

Haltech Novice

First Name:
    Kevin
    They have "pride" in their customers... Was that before, or after the bans?

14. David

David Regular Member

Mark, I'm just wondering how you can go from being so upset, trolling every chance you got, to basically supporting every vB move made since your reinstatement?

2 people like this.
  15. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

So who else hit the 'report blog post'?

LOL...

16. KearaO

KearaO Novice

Mark is sort of the Mr. Bipolar of vB customers. :D

(Note: I am not saying that Mark is a bad guy. Just that he goes from one extreme to the other in a rather predictable cycle.)

17. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    Well my blog never made it to the public, it was moderated and removed. Sadly, i thought i was being very respectful in my blog reply.

18. SimpleMan

SimpleMan Adept

I rather distinctly remember a very similar statement from the CEO of Wachovia Bank right before they were bought out by Wells Fargo because they basically were heading towards collapse. (Not that vB will collapse per say, just have the idea that the glory days might be a little past.) This, in my customer service experience, is one of those too little, too late statements. I will applaud IB/vB for making great strides to restore consumer confidence, but all of this should have come out prior to the recent crucial decisions. Again, they are listening and that's a good move, I'm just personally concerned about the tendency to listen after the fact.

19. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

A good sign for a company to boost cunsumer cofidence is the abilty to retain a dialogue before anything esculates not after the storm. Pressure posting can be taken with a grain of salt because this announcement was forced in the sense that the community was in an uproar.

Customers (when IB purchased jelsoft) did cry out for IB Representitves to communicate for a while nothing was posted and dialogue was a thing of the past.

If a company is only going to spin words and make announcements when the shit hits the fan then you have to question the agenda why that specific announcement was posted.

Dialogue shouldn't be forced, nor should it be something customers beg or demand for it should come natural.

20. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

word up woman. May i have carry the first round? :cheers: