Multiple accounts

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Nick, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Do you allow members to create multiple accounts? On some forums I frequent, it is strictly prohibited for various reasons, while on others it isn't really a huge deal. For the latter, they don't mind duplicate accounts as long as you aren't using it for devious purposes such as scamming, cheating in contests, etc.

I personally tend to not mind duplicate accounts. If somebody wants to have multiple personalities, I feel that that is their own business - as long as it doesn't disrupt my community.

What are your thoughts?

2. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

:P Ohh, Anime sites open wonderful possibilities, sheesh, gender-bending is famous, Kyon's genderbend Kyonko, she's pretty, she looks like Haurhi a bit whose genderbend is Haruhiko(the one with the yellow headband). So we often make, specially on the chat, multiple accounts that represent the anime characters, often to have fun we adapt to the personalities. Some other people take RP seriously and have adapted personalities of their favorite anime characters.

X3 I don't mind multiple accounts, on the chat that is, on the forums, I do.

3. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    i only allow one account per member, except in some cases where someone is a member of the forum, and another member of the forum lives with them (we have several forum couples) so they are two people but they have the same ip.

i know when members do have multiple accounts cause i can smell a troll a mile off!!!!

4. Michael

Michael Regular Member

We disallow this unless a member comes to us and requests a new account. Most members of our forums that have had 2 accounts in the past have been nothing but trouble. The only exception is a genuine reason to needing two accounts for example you want a fresh start for whatever reason or you are a couple as mentioned above.

5. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    I don't allow them. On my forums there is no reason to have them.

If I had a site like FMB's, maybe I would, but I don't, so I don't. :p

Two people on the same IP is different, like me and Mark, so I guess it's a little difficult to enforce my policy, but I will delete any dup account if I find out.

6. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

hmmm, I'm way too linear to be able to go upon such a path!!

7. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_b66599f2a91d6cd9b7f25e4466c24fa3.png

8. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

I don't allow them it's an instant account deletion on all accounts and ban if I find duplicate accounts.

9. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Generally no we don't allow them. If I pick up two people coming from the same IP I'll generally PM the longest standing member and see what's up. If it's the same person I'll offer to merge the account.

We have a few funny dupe accounts on the DJ board though. One is "God" another is "<another members name> Conscience". Both accounts didn't try to hide their true identity (IP Wise) and they're just having fun so I don't bust chops.

10. Barathdon

Barathdon Newcomer

First Name:
    Barath
    I don't allow multiple accounts usually because I don't see any point in having multiple accounts.

11. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

ooohhhh FMB. *shakes fist in the air*

12. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    Absolutely not. There is no reason for them to have multiple accounts other than devious purposes.

You're simply increasing your workload as an admin or mod when you allow multiple accounts. You have to constantly keep tabs on who is who and ensure they aren't using that account as a sock puppet account. Also, if they get banned for something you'd have to ban all of their accounts for it to actually have any value, else they'll just log in with an account that's not banned.

13. kneel

kneel Regular Member

its ok if i see multiple people using the same ip, cuz we also have a few couples. (actually, 2 of my best mods are a bf/gf.)

other than that , i have the AE detector installed and watch out for it....

14. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    I would certainly allow two different people from the same household (same ip) to have separate accounts, but I meant the actual same person having multiple accounts I would never allow.

15. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Problem with such thing is, that you never know if they are or aren't. At least for me, I pay attention closely to people's behavior and I can instantly say if it's them or some one else, other times people are REALLY good at having double personalities, they could be lying to you.

16. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    i always know who people are, look at posting style, words they spell wrong, use of smilies, the way they talk to others....

once a member left and another joined a few weeks later, different ip but i suspected they werent new from the first post, cause they wrote in a certain colour and spelled certain words wrong....i was right on who they were, they told us their true identity a month later

17. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

There are people who could imitate and actually easily adapt to other personalities.

lik i coul be typing lik dis ud never kno if its me or not....Right?

18. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    Indeed you are right, that is the loop hole, but I figure not allowing multiple accounts in general is better than totally allowing them. Like you say though generally you can tell if it's the same person, but sometimes it's very hard. Honestly if they're not causing any problems and we really believe it to be different people then there is nothing to be done. If we learned otherwise and if it was a member in good standing, then I would probably give them the option to have one account closed or merge the accounts.

19. tech

tech Regular Member

Our Rules are:

re reading that some wording looks wrong....But eh JetGaming is kinda dead, once i roll out vB4 ill start it up again..

If their account gets banned and somehow make a new account its frowned upon but we normally ask for them to get a friend already registered to ask.