Movie Forum?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Nick, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

What are your thoughts on the niche of movie forums? Is it too saturated for the possibility of success?

I was a member and moderator on a new movie forum a couple of years ago, but the owner closed it down shortly after takeoff. In the short time it was up, it seemed to me like it was on its way to success. Whether that was to be short-lived or not, I do not know...

I'm curious because I've acquired the domain that the original owner had (he let it expire) and I wonder if it's worth giving the project a shot... :shrug:

2. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Is it a specific movie, or just the motion picture niche in general?

If it's a specific movie, I don't see the point unless it's one that's destined for greatness (like a modern Gone With the Wind or Star Trek, etc...).

I think a general movie forum could do well, depending on what you did with it.

The problem is that there are a TON of general movie sites, and some of them are more popular than others (Rotten Tomato, for example). Not necessarily forums, but sites that you can post and carry on conversations with others (even IMDB has a "forum" of sorts.).

Even in over-saturated markets you could possibly gather a large userbase if your site is done right (whatever 'right' is).

3. Noles

Noles Adept

First Name:
    Ryan
    I think it just depends on how many enjoy the movie, as simple as that may seem. If it was a popular movie and one that people like to talk about afterwords (Avatar, in my case), then I think its got a shot at being successful. It also has to do with how well the forum is run by of course, but as for the movie side of things, the popular the movie probably = the success of the forum*.

*My theory.

4. fattony69

fattony69 Regular Member

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Thanks for the advice so far. In this situation, the forum would be a general movie forum.

And for those who may be curious, the domain is www.PopcornOnTheFloor.com. :shrug:

6. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    Sounds like a good idea. I'm not familiar with the number of communities in that particular niche, but if you take it on I'd be happy to help Nick. Shoot me a message anytime. ;)

7. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I have toyed around with the idea of a general movie forum for quite some time. I love the idea and a natural Amazon Affiliate and Google Adsense revenue potential producer.

I kinda like that domain name and you could tie in a Netflix affiliate program along with movie tickets as prizes all over the place! :D

Nick, if you want to team up down the road and get something going, I'd be willing to pitch in some time to the project ;)

8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Interesting ideas, guys. Thanks for the offers; I'll definitely be contacting you after I think about this a little more. :)

9. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    i like the domain name :) i think that its the sort of name people will remember, which is always a good start

10. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Nice score there Nick.

I don't get out to the movies as often as I used to. :(

First movie out to the theater was my recent Bday in like 8 months or so. It was girls' first time to the theater....and we survived the Princess and The Frog. They were glued!! So now, hoping to make it out more though. ;)

11. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Nick, any new developments with the movie forum idea?

12. Nick

Nick Regular Member

No, not really. I've still been thinking about whether I'm sure I even want to do it. :shrug:

13. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

We should take this on as a community effort :)

Have Shelley and FMB work on the smileys, ranks, etc....have you and me add modifications or some other touches....have John or someone come up with a skin that they would donate, etc.

Would be cool to get a community create a community :D

14. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
    I think it is a great idea nick! Good luck and if you need a mod down the road, I am around.