Most Over Rated Forum Software and Why?

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by SpacewardAsh, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Well if you like it or not xenforo is at the top.. UBB has been around for a long time but its not popular at all. I dont expect you to like XenForo as I have never seen you stick to a forum, if you were to keep a forum for awhile you would know what all the fuss it about and what a certain software has to offer.

2. Azrael

Azrael Banned

Forums are a waste of time especially for adults because they are nothing but a kids market. There is no fuss when it comes to Xenforo its plain and lacks style. Xenforo has attracted kids because its new and different. As far as UBB being popular its quite popular its just not a kids software with all the fancy stuff attached to it. Being 54 years old I do not have time to wait for a bunch of kids to join a forum that many will not even look at twice! So before you go judging some one look in the mirror. Now, if you follow suit you will lock this thread as you normally do when things go sour.....

3. SpacewardAsh

SpacewardAsh Lurking From Space

First Name:
    Ashley
    Why would we lock threads for you expressing your opinions, I may not agree with you, but it does not mean that your opinion is wrong, and that it shouldn't be commented on...

Kaiser likes this.
  4. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Why will I lock this thread, you have the right to express yourself, but if you don't express yourself properly and create a problem then of course I will lock it, which you have done many times in the past going overboard with things. Forums dont have an age requirement, and I dont know who you are taking shots at by saying that. Its just an excuse for you because honestly you really cant keep a forum running so I don't blame you. The longest I've seen you with a forum would be 2 weeks. And you are calling us kids right? Well we are the ones runs running successful forums here, and you are a grown person and I see you going from forum to forum. Age is not a factor here, its maturity.

This thread has gone way of topic, so back to the "Most over rated forum software".

5. John15

John15 Regular Member

I think its phpBB, I cant stand it. It's usually the fanboys who have good things to say about it but I dont. Installing mods is horrible. It lacks many important things.

Kaiser likes this.
  6. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

It does lack many things I would expect it to have by now, and yes their modifications system is horrible. I hope they improve, which has not been happening lately.

7. SpacewardAsh

First Name:
    Ashley
    phpBB have been trying to improve, it's just progress has been slow (discuss that here: http://admin-talk.com/threads/phpbb-at-a-stand-still.2740/)

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

9. DarkGizmo

DarkGizmo Mr. Awesome

I agree with Kaiser. vB USED TO be the best, but not anymore. I wouldn't touch vB4 with a 10 foot pole, and 3.8 is just dated now and although still great software, it was time for my site to move on from it.

Kaiser likes this.
  10. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

You made a good move from switching from vB to IPB. 3.8 was the best but yes its outdated and vB 4 needs some major improvement.

11. euantor

euantor Regular Member

I'm not going to go with vB4 - simply because it isn't over-rated at all. Everybody knows it sucks ;P

I'd have to say phpBB. The number of people still using it is pretty crazy IMO considering how out-dated it is.

Kaiser likes this.
  12. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Well its not as bad as SMF. And its still has much potential and the great amount of styles it has. But yea it is pretty overrated.. considering how many fanboys it has. MyBB is the only free software being up to date with everything, even with 2.0 development. They dont waste time.

13. euantor

euantor Regular Member

SMF is really awful. I've tried it locally and wasn't impressed at all. I also can't see the fascination with WBB either.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yep, I dont see why anyone would use it when there is MyBB or phpBB.

15. Ventura

Ventura Regular Member

I would say phpBB, its sucks just as much as SMF, there really is nothing special about it..

16. Austin01

Austin01 Regular Member

SMF is the worst I have ever seen, it's unattractive and they don't have very many features. I find MyBB to solve my issues just fine.

17. SpacewardAsh

First Name:
    Ashley
    why do you say that? everyone else has said why they think it's over rated, etc.

Kaiser likes this.
  18. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Sorry to the SMF fanboys but yes it is as ugly as it gets.. phpbb and mybb both look great with the nice styles available but SMF is always ugly.

Ashley.S. likes this.
  19. SpacewardAsh

First Name:
    Ashley
    SMF always looks so basic, no matter what you do to it. The same applies to VB4.x.x At least with phpBB & MyBB, etc. you can put a lot of personalisation into it.

Kaiser likes this.
  20. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Well I dont know why, but I like the look of the default vB style. And yes I see so many great looking phpBB and MyBB forums which you can tell a lot of hard work was put into them.

Ashley.S. likes this.