More new forums

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by possum37, Aug 18, 2000.

1. JHowse

JHowse Regular Member

You know what's sad with a lot of Christians? It's the attitude of being better than everyone else or at least the idea of having a "get out of jail free card" that allows you to do whatever you want. I don't like either attitude. I personally see a true Christian as someone who looks to God to try to better his or her life and also try to do good things for others, at anytime, possible. They are not those who look for political or power gains. Basically, someone who really is a Christian tries to live as Jesus did, and you know what? Jesus didn't go around causing guilt trips. He went around hanging out with some of the most average people in society. He, in fact, also went after the "Bible Thumpers/Holy Rollers" of the day. They were then known as the Pharisees. And the Jewish community ended up condeming Him to die for His then radical, almost hippy-like ideals. Actually read the gospels. All of what I said is there. So the comment on having non-Christ like friends is bogus. How else do you get more Christians?

I'm not one to go for the whole Charismatic/guilt trip/cram it down your throat approach. I just think that is disrespectful and wrong. People have to want their way of life. It is their choice.

My 2 cents.

2. mthrlangl

mthrlangl Regular Member

I think that the charismatic part has its place. I've known some really and truly awesome charismatics, and I've been to retreats where I was literally knocked down because of the happenings there. But, I totally agree with the people who say you're going to Hell for such-and-such. I'm a Christian, yes, and that works for me. Yay. Diesel is an athiest, and that works for him. Yay. I'm not going to try to change his mind, nor would I be able to, I'm guessing. But, if I could make people see where I'm coming from, that would be all that I could ask. If I could bring a message of "God loves you..yes, you," then I'd have done my job. I don't feel like running around saying, "I'm sorry, God hates you, and well, you're going to Hell..have a nice day!"
    (Can anyone tell that I've gone through this little speech before? . )
    ----------------------------
    You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. - Calvin

<font color="#000000">[Edited by mthrlangl on August 21, 2000 (edited 1 time)]</font>

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2014
  3. liltaz

liltaz Regular Member

It does tend to get heated when religion is involved.

I think a family forum would be good and I think a food forum would be FILLED with topics and posts. We are food crazies.

"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience."

- Woodrow Wilson

4. spidergoolash

spidergoolash Regular Member

i'm loving this family/food forum idea thing. i think religion could be classified under family too. me thinks this is good; and of course we all know it would be brimming w/recipes like taz said with all of us food maniacs here .

"it's easier to stay out than get out"

5. liltaz

liltaz Regular Member

and under family heading maybe Pets. I could keep that going on my own with topics about my guys...hehe

"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience."

- Woodrow Wilson

6. Alien

Alien Regular Member

Okay, I need help with suggestions for these forum names:

Family/Pets/Food

Give me some simple names for these that people will understand, I don't want to call it 'food' if it includes drinks, etc. Something simple, to the point, and wouldn't conflict with a wider description below their titles.

Thanks. .

Alien - Administrator / Owner
    ["Everything was true. God was an alien. Oz really is over the
    rainbow. ...and Midian is where the monsters live." -Nightbreed]

7. Boone

Boone Regular Member

Family = Monkee Central or loony bin or "God won't they ever leave"

Pets = PooPoo Pets or "What did I just step in" or They so cute! or Damn Pets! or The Pooch Forum

Food = Salivating or Drool or I'm Hungry! or Killer Calories or Smells Good or I'll start my diet tomorrow or Delicacies or Whatcha Cookin

8. mthrlangl

mthrlangl Regular Member

Geez, Boone. For food, I was gonna say Cuisine or Gormet.

-----------------------------
    You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. - Calvin

9. possum37

possum37 Regular Member

Food = Cuisine

Family & Pets might just wanna stay that way.

My knob tastes funny.

10. Boone

Boone Regular Member

Yeah I guess I did get a bit carried away. Hey it was late at night I was tired and feeling somewhat loopy.. Can you ever forgive me?

11. Diesel

Diesel Regular Member

Mastercheif&gt; I think the reason those priests are so horribly portrayed is because of the position they took in life.
    They took a position that demands that they stand in front of people and tell them what is allowed and what isn't allowed.
    For them to then go and betray a trust that violates every level of acceptable social behavior, regardless of culture, is basically giving off a very "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude.
    In general, I think that kind of attitude is universally disrespected.

On an long enough timeline, everyone's survival rate drops to zero.

12. mthrlangl

mthrlangl Regular Member

Boone, of course I can forgive you.

DD, you have a pretty darn good point there. It's like movie stars and politicians - they put themselves in the spotlight and then expect people not to be critical of the choices they make. I'm not saying that we really have a right to judge, but we do it anyway, don't we? And plus, like you said, priests are supposed to be (at least in theory) the model Christian/Jew/insert your religion here. If they do something wrong, it's going to seem *especially* scandelous (sp?).

13. Diesel

Diesel Regular Member

I disagree.
    I think as a civilized society, we have a right to judge what is right and wrong.
    In our system of government, we elect representatives who share our personal beliefs to make laws that dictate what is right and what is wrong.

Not necessarily. Priests/rabbis/imams are only supposed to be the teachers, not the perfect example. Underneath everything, they are still human. They should lead by example and teach what is right and what is wrong. However, when what they do violates very fundamental principles of society, they are providing the wrong example and therefore, teaching the wrong thing.

Mastercheif&gt; I do not think ALL priests are viewed as pedophiles. I do feel that there has been a great deal of hypocracy in the church as to what they feel is right and wrong, and what they are willing to condone. THAT is what is giving the church a bad name more than any actions by an individual or small group of deviants.

On an long enough timeline, everyone's survival rate drops to zero.

14. mthrlangl

mthrlangl Regular Member

Actually, DD, I was sort of going with the verse that says "judge not lest ye be judged."
    That why I said "in theory." Most people will put them on the perfection pedastal whether they belong there or not.

15. liltaz

liltaz Regular Member

pets = Dog House

Food = Chow

Family = Family

- Woodrow Wilson

16. Alien

Alien Regular Member

Hmm, I guess I'll just name them:

Family
    Food & Drink
    Pets

We're also adding one more:
    Space & Science

I'll probably have them online beginning tonight...

17. Alien

Alien Regular Member

Several good names from the bunch here, however I think the names above are the simplest way...

I liked Cuisine, but that won't fit in real well with Doritos! Same for Gourmet.

I liked Dog House, but that states limitation.

I liked Chow, but I try to use the most simple words since we have alot of damn foreignors here! .

It also wouldn't include drinks...

...as for Boone's suggestions, I think he needs a laxative!

18. Boone

Boone Regular Member

I'd prefer a valium big guy. Laxatives gimme a serious case of the squirts.

What you didn't find my suggestions enthusiastic, imaginative, humorous, eye catching or original to say the least. .

19. Alien

Alien Regular Member

Boone: "All that, and a bag of chips!"

Okay, Food & Drink created...

Now, who's the moderators....

20. Boone

Boone Regular Member

I am so glad that my words have moved you..