Members who post a little and never come back

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Michael, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Michael

Michael Regular Member

What do you do when members on your forum post say 5 times and never come back? Do you send them reminding emails or anything else to tempt them back? If so what do you think works the best?

2. Tom

Tom Regular Member

I have an "We Miss You" plugin installed. So that if a member is inactive for X amount of days, they get an e-mail telling them about recent happenings, etc. I find that the e-mail method works, as long as you don't spam the inactive member.

3. kneel

kneel Regular Member

pretty much the same thing...i send out an email like every two months for people who arent active for like 30 days or so..if there logged in and just not posting i let them be...if a topic strikes their interest they'll speak up. ;-)

4. Chris

Chris Regular Member

While I won't send anything to these members directly, I'll send out an e-mail to all members in regards to the current state of the community (i.e. announced contests, changes to the board, etc). This can be considered as a newsletter, but it's more of a "one-time only" thing.

I find that doing so tends to bring back a vast majority of these inactive members. :)

5. kneel

kneel Regular Member

thas rite...

i send an email out to all my members once in a while that simplt says.. "TMT..whats goin on..." and you'd be surprized how many people stop and check in..

6. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Precisely! It's simply a friendly reminder that the community is still active and their participation would be appreciated.

7. David

David Regular Member

I don't do just reminder emails either. About once every 3-4 months I'll send a community bulletin to those who are signed up for it.

8. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I don't do reminder emails, in my own experience I'd sometimes get annoyed enough to log on and opt out. I've had good results with sending out holiday messages, though.

9. kneel

kneel Regular Member

holiday messages are killer. Simple. easy. and point proven. I always do a persoanl holiday message.

Theres also a difference between a bot-type email and a hand typed email from the admin...the hand typed emails are always more effective.

10. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Actually I've always sent out holiday emails with pretty graphics wishing them a happy holiday... no complaints yet.