Member silliness

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Peacelily, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

Sorry if the title seems immature, it is just how I am feeling right now. We are having a run of member complaining and grousing which includes the typical "She's just a meanie and her followers do whatever she tells them to do" as if everyone on staff are my programmed minions. How do you deal with that kind of stuff? Do you just ignore it and let them wallow in their pity pot about how mean you are? Some days, it is just gets really old.

2. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I know what you mean Peacelily, you can't please everyone. If you moderate carefully and keep the place clean, you get people complaining you're too strict. If you don't moderate at all you get fights, spam, and people complaining about that.

3. Fazer

Fazer Newcomer

First Name:
    Richard
    I had this happen a while back on my forum, a certain member called me a "Little Hitler" and my staff were alledgedly "members of the third reich just following me".

After about 3 or 4 days of abuse from this member I gave him an infraction and told him that if he continued the next step would be a ban.
    He left the forum for about 6 weeks and we thought he had gone forever.
    He came back 3 weeks ago and has been no problem since his return. I don't know if this would work for you, but it seemed to do the trick for me.

The other thing you could do is just ignore what's being said and see if it eventually just fades away, my case was a little different in that my member was having a personal shot at myself and my staff.

4. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

Thanks! I did try a new tact on someone who was zinging at me. I turned the tables on her. I just publicly said "Please share with us what you would do. Here are the variables. We will do what you decide."

This was her: :eek:

This was me: :devil:

She's been quite well-behaved since then.

5. alley

alley Newcomer

I agree with Fazer. I issued warnings then gave temporary bans to repeat offenders. They came back all nice and polite :D

6. torque

torque Regular Member

I issue Warnings, 3 day ban, 7 day ban then get the sh!ts and ban them for life - I have worked too hard and too many long hours setting up my website to muck around with idiots who don't get the point after their warnings or first bans.

2 people like this.
  7. Dave

Dave Regular Member

I agree , it is best to nip these type of members in the bud quickly...A good set of forum rules is good to have and any such members can be pointed to the rules thread and if they keep repeating then action can be taken...

Every forum will get some sort of clever type attitude member and the odd forum trolls but we have found dealing with them quickly stops further outbursts ( usually )..

Most times i have found that these members have usually had a drop of alcohol and are totally different the next day when confronted..

So my advice is to not let it go on for to long..

2 people like this.
  8. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

LOL!!!! These are my members on a daily basis! :D...Well, some of them anyways. It's gotten to to the point where I tell them "You don't like it? There's that pretty exit button on your browser, use it."

They eventually come back, but they know they have a warning and that keeping a discussion about that will just get them banned.

9. Donkey

Donkey Addict

First Name:
    Jon
    I have never come into a situation where this has occurred on my current forum,

However I have moderated a forum where the staff are known as nazis and the members practically control the forum via pressure against the staff. They demod who they like by practically bullying them. The forum has taken a turn for the worse because the staff don't manage users correctly.

10. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I would tell them I would be happy to refund their purchase price, and then when some Einstein says "but I didn't pay anything..." say "Exactly."

11. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Ily, you're a genius.

12. kev

kev Regular Member

View members profile, give infraction, one week ban, message to member - "I dont have time to waste on people like you." - click.

1 week later member comes back talking same crap - View members profile, give infraction, 6 month ban, message to member - "See ya in 6 months." - click.

I dont see what the problem is?