Member Reporting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Michael, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I dont think vbulletin or any other software that I know of having this, basically a feature where members visit another members profile and they can actually report the member themself, not exactly for posting unwanted content etc but for things like using a rule breaking background image, a potential spammer, things like that. Personally I think it could be handy especially on larger forums where spammers become harder to moderate and so do peoples profile content, it would allow them to report the member for anything more or less, not just their postings.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it would be useful?

2. Ak Worm

Ak Worm Grand Master

First Name:
    Corey
    YES! It would be useful, if your forum just got spammed, and no moderators were on
    while the spammer was spamming.

3. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Well there is the report post button but I can see members maybe hitting report member maybe more often if there was one :D

4. Ak Worm

Ak Worm Grand Master

First Name:
    Corey
    Should be one somewhere. Or not, but Paul M or Lynne or idk can do it.

5. Chris

Chris Regular Member

This would be an absolutely fantastic addition to any forum script. :)

Such a feature could be used for reporting "general misbehavior" (as opposed to reporting an individual post, private message, or visitor message). It would be a bit of a broad report, seeing as you wouldn't be reporting an item specifically, but it would assist the team in resolving whatever issue may arise with the member(s) in question.

6. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

7. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    i know a forum that had one but they removed it due to a group of members randomly hitting the report button for made up reasons on members they dont like

8. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Maybe it has to do with gaming, idk, but never a reported post or member....ever. :shrug: So I don't know if the OPs suggestion would be worth it. I'd suspect if you have a community that is pretty regular about posting such reports....Geez idk if I'd be indulged into investigating everything to be absolutely sure the characterization is accurate or not.

hats off to those of you that are able to do that AND succeed.