Making use of the calendar

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Nick, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Do we have any members here with forums that actually make use of the calendar? I must say, I rarely ever see a forum that utilizes this aspect of forums.

Anybody? :shifty:

If you and your members do use it, then: What for? Is it a major part of the community, or just "something on the side"?

2. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    Well I don't know if my community pays attention to it or not but I post stuff like holidays and promotions on my site's calender.

3. Outdoor-Fishing

Outdoor-Fishing Adept

Yes, my forum is being set up right now by MordyT and we do have the calendar. It will be used as a fishing calendar to indicate the best fishing days. I'm not exactly sure how it works but it has something to do with the moon phases and tides.:)

4. Trip

Trip Novice

We use ours quite a bit. We actually have two. We use them to schedule rides, events, track time, etc. It works out pretty good, we have a forum section dedicated for people to post inquiries to other members who may be looking for someone to go out riding one day. A few people will post back... a date/time/meeting place is set in the thread and that goes into the calendar. The calendar has the rough details with a link to that thread. It's a valuable resource on my member's site. Of course it doesn't get much use now considering we're up to our knees in snow. But spring is just around the corner.:waiting:

5. Desu

Desu Addict

On one of my gaming sites, we're using the calendar to display in-game events (Static for now, but we're hoping to bridge the two databases together).

6. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    one of my forums has a calendar, and we have the members birthdays on it, our forums birthday, and any other forum related events

7. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I'm planning on using my calendar by adding historical events and other famous people's birthdays. But, I'm definitely interested to know what others use the calendar for. :)

8. Webmist

Webmist Champion

First Name:
    Jen
    Let's see we have one for trips and vacation plans (that one is only viewable for certain groups) and also meetings. Then we have a public one for events and news along with other notable dates.

9. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I've added funny/obscure holidays to most of my calendars, especially if they have to do with the topic of the site. Also conventions, contest dates, this-day-in-history if it's related to the topic, etc.

10. Alex

Alex Regular Member

We use our Calendar fairly regularly to inform our members of upcoming events

11. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

All the time for upcoming events, with links to discussion threads. The calender is a nice feature, at least in vb.

12. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    It's used on my site. I use it to post the flight schedule for the space station the community is building and members occasionally post real world space flight launch dates and specifics in the calendar.

13. Desu

Desu Addict

I've always found it difficult to get the calendar to be used in some way though...

The default calendar included in most systems is just horrible, and lacks many features (vBulletin's didn't even have search without a plugin).

14. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member