Makin a M0ve s00n...

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by kneel, Aug 16, 2009.

1. kneel

kneel Regular Member

So...its almost time...I wanna switch to a better server...host...whatever... I want my page to load like this one...fast!!!

Can anyone kinda give me some advice? What host/server does AA use? What are the important things I need to research before choosing a server?

Help a brother out here...... I cant take another year of godaddy's slowness....it pisses me and my members off...

2. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I wouldnt suggest a dedicated server like AA is on. Maybe go for a mid-range VPS. Eukhost.com is who we use and theyre great.

When choosing watch out for unlimited bandwidth offers and diskspace as it is all lies.

3. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Indeed. We're located on a dedicated server. ;)

What sort of route were you thinking of taking? I'm assuming that you're currently hosted on a shared plan - would you like to stick with such a solution, or would you rather move to something more controllable and flexible (such as a VPS)?

4. kneel

kneel Regular Member

what does VPS stand for?

5. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Virtual Private Server :) That is what our sites are currently on. If you have one forum and you want better than shared a VPS is all you need, however you will need to learn some of WHM which is easy to get used to ;)

6. David

David Regular Member

eUKhost is good, but I beleive your in the USA so you might want to try a host with an american datacenter (EUK might have american DC's so be sure to check with them also if thats who you want to use)

FutureHosting
    PowerVPS
    ASmallOrange

Are the only 3 hosting providers i've ever used and would ever recommend to anyone. You'll need to make sure you're getting as much RAM as possible (512 is usually great), probably about 20GB of Diskspace, and about 3000GB of transfer to start out. You shouldn't pay more than $40-50 for a VPS ever, and can usually find coupons for some providers over at WebHostingTalk.com

7. Chris

Chris Regular Member

A VPS is a virtual environment that is assigned a select amount of resources from a hardware dedicated server (or cluster of servers). You are generally given complete root access to this virtual server and are in control of nearly every aspect of the hosting environment. As each one of these servers are given a specified amount of their own resources (delegated from the hardware machine - usually managed by a platform known as Parallels Virtuozzo), the performance is generally superior when compared to a typical shared environment.

The number of virtual private servers created and managed on one hardware machine varies. You will be hosted within your own private "space", however.

8. kneel

kneel Regular Member

hmmm...alot of info to take in...right now we have about 40 members checking in on a daily basis...but no more than 7-8 on at the same time...we have sumthing like 15000 posts..so i wanna make sure that i have enough of everything to grow this site..

so when you say VPS...is that 40-50 usd a month or a year or what?? Whats the average $$ im lookin at here...

9. Chris

Chris Regular Member

It depends on what sort of power (i.e. resources) you'd like your VPS to boast - it also varies greatly depending on the provider, the services included, and whether or not the server is managed. ;)

The rate provided above was a monthly cost.

10. kneel

kneel Regular Member

ok i checked out that Wiredtree...i think thats what u guys run on....and i gotta say that their prices and services seemed fair...

If i sign up with them will they take all my info from godaddy and move it to their place? Cuz i'll have no idea how to do any of that..lol...

11. Michael

Michael Regular Member

A good host will transfer your website for free but theres usually a fee for transferring domain names, not much of one probably around £8 :)

12. Chris

Chris Regular Member

They will migrate your existing website(s) over to your new server, yes. ;)

13. kneel

kneel Regular Member

you mean my www.mysitesname.com ?? oh thats right i have to renew that every year...i almost forgot about that..lol..

cool...so basically i can click "buy now" and they'll do the rest or no?? lol..

14. Chris

Chris Regular Member

After placing your order, you'll receive a call from the support team (to confirm your order - expect a call from Jake). After confirming the order, the server will be placed in the creation queue and will be up and running shortly after. You'll then receive a welcome e-mail, which will include the logic details to Grove, the client management portal. From there, you'll be able to create a migration request (via the ticket system) and it'll be completed by them shortly after.

They'll walk you through their process. ;)

15. Michael

Michael Regular Member

You dont NEED to transfer the domain, just point the nameservers to your new VPS :) Only if you want to pay your new host for the domain each year or whatnot do you need to transfer it to them :)

They should do the rest if you give them access to cpanel, FTP etc and they should be able to do it for you within an hour possibly depending on the size of your site.

Of course you can do it yourself once they set up your VPS but if you want to relax get them to do it and point the names to the new nameservers they give you.

16. kneel

kneel Regular Member

ok....lemme see if I got this straight..

go to wiredtree.com...pick my plan...wait for them to call..tell them to log into my godaddy acct and take all my stuff, move it to there spot, and call it a day?

17. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Correct. :) As soon as you open a support ticket regarding the migration, they'll discuss the process with you and gather the appropriate details for the move.

18. Michael

Michael Regular Member

And remember to point your domains nameservers to your new ones which they will give you ;)

19. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Which will be custom nameservers (ns1.yourwebsite.com and ns2.yourwebsite.com). ;)

20. David

David Regular Member

Not to try to further confuse you and talk you out of this move. But if you only have 7-8 people online at a time, a VPS maybe a little over kill. Just about any half decent shared host could handle this for you.