Made website 3.8.5, but now it's back to 3.7.4?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by 93Corvette, Apr 23, 2010.

1. 93Corvette

93Corvette Novice

First Name:
    Craig
    I just installed 3.8.5 on a new website. Everything shows 3.8.5 at the bottom of the screen and it looks correct. Everything from this point look correct.

Next I want to get all the members, threads...ect from the orginal website transfered over. So I copied the sql and loaded it in using MySqlDumper.
    So I exported my database from the orginal website to the hard drive. Then I imported the file into the new website.

Now for some reason I'm getting 3.7.4 version, themes, and thread from the original website, but what I don't understand is it changed the version number at the bottom back to 3.7.4. It appears I am copying the entire program, and not the member list, threads, and the basic stuff.

I don't understand how importing the database changed the version number. What am I doing wrong? Does anyone have the steps to copy just the data to a new host? (ie the threads, members, and other stuff so it doesn't override the version number?)

2. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
    The database has to be upgraded to 3.8.5....

3. 93Corvette

93Corvette Novice

First Name:
    Craig
    This is where I'm getting confused. Everything show I have upgraded to 3.8.5, and I have the orginal deliveried Vbulletin screen showing.

But when I import my database it's picking up the old websites themes and stuff. I thought that the vbulletin was divided into to areas, the program, and the database.

I know I have a bug in my old 3.7.4 forum, so I want to start from scratch as far as the loading of different mods. So all I want from that old website is the data that people entered (threads, membership...ect), nothing else, just the data....

Thanks for any help you can provide....I will learn alot in the next months....

4. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    did you run the upgrade.php script after you imported the old DB?
    if your config file pointing to the right DB (the new one)?

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but why did you create a new database, and then import the old database from the old version?

6. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
    I'm not so sure, but database structures change over different versions. So the database needs to be uped to 3.8.5. BUT, here is how I would do it... (note, slow method)

Get a copy of 3.7.4 from vB (from your members area)
    Place files on server, edit includes/config to point to database. Your forums should work perfect.
    Get latest version, upgrade as you normally would. All done.

EDIT: You probably could just place latest files on server (skip step one) and upgrade as normal. I have never done that, but no reason why it shouldn't work...

7. 93Corvette

93Corvette Novice

First Name:
    Craig
    I know it confusing...Let me try to explain....
    I have two forum boards. NavyFamilies.com and NavyDep.com. NavyFamilies ended up being a website to help young Sailor joining the Navy, and has nothing to do with Families. So I want to move it to the new website called NavyDep.com.

NavyFamilies.com is running 3.7.4 and has a bug in it from a program call Cyb-chatbox. It continually says "Loading". I have reviewed all the 67 pages of mods thread about this problem and no one ever solved it. I'm thinking it's not the chatbox that is causing the problem because I have reloaded many times and still has the same problem. I think it's another mod I put in that is causing it to look like Cyb-Chatbox, when it's not Chatbox at all. So, to start all over from scratch, and since I needed to move the forum to NavyDep anyways, and I want to upgrade it to 3.8.5 using the update cyb-chatbox for 3.8x. This to me would solve everything since it would be an entirely new board with new software. The only thing I want from the old board is the members, the thread, the pictures..ect, but not any of the modification. Just a basic board that I can start from scratch and load the new 3.8 modifications.

NavyDep.com is running 3.8.5. I loaded everything, which I'm surprised I was able to do since I'm such a noob.... Everything worked great. It shows 3.8.5 at the bottom of the main screen. Then I loaded Cyb-chat box for 3.8 and it works great too. Then I go and get the SQL from the old database so I can get my members, posts, and pictures using MySqlDumper. The reason I'm using MySqlDumper is I have one file too large to move the normal way. When I import the MySql it over writes the program and makes it revert back to 3.7.4. I thought by just getting Sql it would leave the program in place and would just import the user information (members, threads, pictures). I didn't think Sql would also get the program stuff (ie Chatbox, banners, and other items), I thought it would be only user information.

Sorry to be so long winded. I just wanted you guys to know what my thought pattern was, and how I ended up where I am. What I want is to severe all relations to the 3.7.4, and start from scratch on the new board with 3.8.5. However, I must still must have all the posts, members, ...ect from the original board.... My thought is vbulletin has two things to make it work, the program, and the database. I didn't think modifications or old 3.7.4 stuff would be lumped in with database (Sql). I thought modification over rode the program stuff only.

8. 93Corvette

93Corvette Novice

First Name:
    Craig
    I have tried all possible way suggested here to get this website moved, but nothing is working. In fact, the program I was using to make my backups, MySqlDumper, doesn't work anymore. It times out...

So, I will try to attack this at a different angle by trying to archive the data off and making it smaller so I can use phpmyadmin. I will ask this question in a seperate thread....