Looks like XenForo have sold out to Internet Brands

Discussion in 'XenForo Discussions' started by GTB, Feb 15, 2013.

1. DaUnknownAdm!n

DaUnknownAdm!n Regular Member

According to the pacer report the case has been settled. I would imagine an announcement should be made within the next couple of days by either party or both. I'm hoping it doesn't come down to waiting for another Pacer report. :rolleyes:

2. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    What is "Pacer" anyways?
    I've seen it mentioned a few times, do you guys have a link that makes you think it's been settled?

thx

3. ENF

ENF Regular Member

I'd like to think you've been around long enough to know...

Well anyway, here are the court transcripts:

http://xflegal.com/xfl/2013/xfl-183.pdf

These are the actual court minutes reporting the settlement.

PACER is the electronic court records access service.

Brandon likes this.
  4. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I haven't really spent much time looking over the court cases and whatnot to be honest. Haven't really had time and I figured others would announce if anything interesting happen.
    Ah, it's public Access to all Court Records.
    http://www.pacer.gov/
    Did that xf fan site get them from the site I linked to?
    So it's updated once a week, is that what @GTB was saying?

Thanks

boatswife likes this.
  5. ENF

ENF Regular Member

For specifically XenForo, the case file is updated whenever there are new documents. It just depends on when new documents are filed by court or legal counsel.

XFlegal.com is my site and I've posted all of the updates from PACER there as a free resource. You can see the frequency of the updates derived from PACER via the Wiki portion, where each filing update is recorded.

Brandon likes this.
  6. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Nice, I'll bookmark it but I don't honestly think I'll look at it much :p

Good to know it's out there though :thumbsup:

7. ENF

ENF Regular Member

Since the case appears to be closing, it'll be open for a few more months I suppose. Right now, it's back to waiting to see what happens from the settlement agreement. By all hope, I would just like to see XF move forward to signal a full closure to this debacle.

DaUnknownAdm!n likes this.
  8. DaUnknownAdm!n

I've been thinking about starting a new project with possibly converting a vB4 forum to xF, but have been holding out until the outcome of this case.

Brandon likes this.
  9. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    One thing to keep in mind. Plaintiffs don't agree to settle if the outcome doesn't favor them.

I fear we'll get an announcement similar to what we got when vbGallery settled. Watch the vbulletin announcement forum. I doubt you'll hear anything from Kier.

10. HWS

HWS Regular Member

IB would not have settled wthout gaining at least something. XenForo doesn't have any money. So, what could they have given them?

We also know that Mike, Kier and Ashley had lost their real interest in XenForo a long time ago. So why do you think they'll push hard to keep the company?

11. GTB

GTB Regular Member

The Plaintiff is the one who can only drop the case with a settlement agreement, so it has to suit them first, that much is common sense otherwise IB might as well risk winning the trial. Kier is online right now at XenForo, maybe an announcement is coming....

I don't think XenForo have won, think XF with either stay open owned by IB, or will go down soon. Those are the two most likely outcomes. Very close call to make, but have a feeling the latter might happen. But we'll see...

Weppa likes this.
  12. Weppa

Weppa Regular Member

time to download the last patches and mods we need...

13. GTB

GTB Regular Member

He's referring I was posting 12 months ago on Admin Addict that XenForo would most likely settle after Brogan and Mike left. I posted it their enough... along with Mark.B at the time and has remained by general view ever since. I also suspected an agreement would only happen at the last minute like it has, time prior to that would be used to try and thrash out the best deal KAM could possibly get.

Anyway... I'm looking forward to seeing the final settlement details, which should be soon. What will happen to XenForo in the end? But whatever it is, it won't be good for XenForo. The best KAM could get now in my view - is IB agree to not own XenForo, but still take a percentage of sales from them. At least then KAM would be able to carry on as usual and IB have no part in the company as such, which would only drive customers away if they did own XF. Can I see that one happening, No. I don't think KAM are even interested in developing XF any further... just my view.

Brandon likes this.
  14. DaUnknownAdm!n

I guess it all depends on who the settlement favors. If IB got the short end of the stick, then I wouldn't expect their Xtreme Marketing team to make an announcement and on the XF side we all know how talkative Kier is when it comes to things other than his barefoot adventures.

Brandon likes this.
  15. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Thing is plaintiffs don't settle if it doesn't favor them. GTB has it right.

16. DaUnknownAdm!n

Plaintiffs could also settle to avoid summary judgement against them. In order words they (IB) could have been losing the case, therefore it would be in their best interest to settle. Anything is possible. Fortunately, it's only a matter of days now until we find out the final verdict. It should be interesting to say the least.

I'm also interested to see what the future holds for XF if it does manage to come out on top. Would a win reunite KAM, or would they just go their separate ways? Does Kier continue on solo?

17. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

This does not look very promising. I know if it was me and my company and in the same situation, the moment a settlement was reached and I had won there would be tweets WE WON!!! and such. Unless there was a GAG order which I did not see in the docs. Which if there was then most likely the docs would not be released yet. But, I am holding out hope because of how much I like XF. But, does not look promising to me...

Weppa, Brandon and ragtek like this.
  18. DaUnknownAdm!n

I feel the same way, but there is the Kier factor. I think even if xf won, there's still the question of what happens next and if the past is any indication, we'll probably learn the outcome of the settlement via Pacers before we read about it from Kier.

Brandon and ragtek like this.
  19. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Been reading another PDF floating around that Deebs linked back to. It makes it look as though a WIKI situation might have happened, both sides are paying their own legal costs.

Link: http://xflegal.com/xfl/2013/xfl-184.pdf

This is all over and done with now, case closed. How comes Kier is not updating customers on XenForo with some-kind of announcement 8 days later?

Brandon likes this.
  20. HWS

HWS Regular Member

The close of the lawsuit does not solve the problems in XenForo itself. Even if they still have full control over their company, they have no money and no developers. Beside Kier maybe.

Even if an announcement may come, I don't expect it to be clear and pure fact.