Looks like XenForo have sold out to Internet Brands

Discussion in 'XenForo Discussions' started by GTB, Feb 15, 2013.

1. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Regular Member

Just doesn't make sense to me I guess (the point of deleting an account). All it does is make your life more difficult if you want to use it again in the future. Not like the account is going to do anything on it's own if you don't use it.

Brandon likes this.
  2. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

I guess the point is to illustrate anger. Its basically virtual suicide. lol.
    Some even delete their whole website for the same reason.

ragtek likes this.
  3. GTB

GTB Regular Member

You find it strange he does that, but I find it more strange he posted that leaving thread on XenForo and KAM made no point replying letting one of their best mod coders (an asset to them) walk away without seemingly batting an eyelid. And that's been the general attitude of KAM for 12 months now, I've seen other good coders, good theme creators, all posting same and no reply said back from KAM each time.

I don't get that? You'd think they'd post something "even if just sorry to see you go", but something to try and keep them their, or at least make them think twice. Because these people are an asset for XenForo future sales.

Also, people like yourself and Ragtek tend to spot and report important bugs (because your good coders able spot them). They lose that side of things also, not just these people's mods helping boost sales, but what they do to help improve the product by bug reporting. That people like me, or other none coders would never ever have the knowledge to spot and report.

ragtek likes this.
  4. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

It's fine that it doesn't makes sense for you, for me it made sense to show my public moving away, to show that at this time not everything was "it's fine, we're all happy here, xenforo is still supported and being worked on" as it was announced by the team (which was censoring everything at this time, which was also a NO GO for me and which was just another reason to leave the community).

For you it isn't probably a problem that the script is unsupported, you have the knowledge and you said already several times that you wouldn't really care, if the support would stop....(pls correct me if i'm wrong)
    I also don't care, because i'm probably able to fix most of the problems for me.

But avarage joe cares about this!
    IMO even 1 template edit to be able to run it without any problems is 1 edit too much for a commercial script!
    It was also very strange, that i had to create addons which fixed xf bugs or as i started to send patches to my addon users and i didn't saw a end of this because of the communication team <->client.....

And deleting my account was my way of a protest:P
    i mean what else could somebody in my position do? Ignore everything, take some some happy pills to be optimistic and happy like jake and ignore all the problems?

I don't want to compare it with

awww.lpusd.k12.ca.us_rm1_online_hotpotatoestav_Protest_20against_20Vietnam_20War.jpg

or
    acdn.theatlantic.com_static_infocus_occupy100711_o01_05074492.jpg

but somebody had to set a sign and i wasn't alone => http://xenforo.com/community/threads/george-orwells-1984.35543/

Edit:
    Just to clarify, i didn't expect any response from KAM:D or to start any discussion to not leave ....
    I just wanted to explain in public why i was leaving and why i started a ticket to request to delete my account... I don't wanted to get my account deleted without explaining why (before somebody started to post some false things again)

5. digitalpoint

I dunno... maybe I just look at things more as a big picture. You can't expect KAM to interact directly with 32,000+ members.

If someone doesn't like how things are run, they just stop using it... if you have to beg someone to stay on your site when they publicly announce they are leaving, I just don't see the point in that. Either they were just seeking attention and never really left in the first place, or they really did leave and they aren't going to see your response anyway, so... {shrug}

I most *certainly* wouldn't except someone at Facebook to try and talk me out of my decision to not use their site any longer... Nor would I expect it from a smaller site.

If someone doesn't want to use my site, 99% of the time I wouldn't even *see* a "goodbye" thread, and if I ever did it would be ignored... all I would really have to say would be "ok", which isn't helpful either way, so...

6. GTB

GTB Regular Member

There is only a handful of good coders at XenForo, both before and now. You can count them on 2 hands, and I wouldn't expect KAM to care about 99.9.9% of the 32,000 users posting "I'm leaving, I've had enough". But we're talking about well known names here such as yourself, Ragtek, Syndol and a few others gone. I agree, they shouldn't be trying to persuade a person "not to leave" (as such), but there's no harm in posting a thanks for what they've done, or sorry to see you go. Just as a way of showing appreciation to those "very few" members they really could do with keeping in place at this point.

XenForo is small, they ain't vB.org of old with hundreds of great coders to think, "so who cares if one leaves". Maybe it's just me, but when you see a moderator like Jake posting a reply to Ragtek saying "he doesn't want him to leave", but KAM can't find the time-of-day to do the same thing with ALL that's left now.

Well... doesn't say much does it. Just makes it look like they're not bothered at all.

Mind you, just looked at Sydol leaving thread. He only got 1 page of replies made anyway from members. So you might have a point actually...

7. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

Just to clarify, i didn't expect any response from KAM or anybody else.
    I also didn't want to start any discussion to not leave or any other drama because after my post i left the page completely for a loooooong time.​
    It was just a public protest to show that it's not always the happy wonderland like announced by the mods and because i wanted to explain in public why i was leaving(to explain what's happening with my addons, before somebody starts to try to suit me again, like while my burnout as i was 1.5 months not online...) and why my account would be deleted (because i started a ticket to request to delete my account and not because the team deleted me because of my drama queen status or any other speculations)​

8. digitalpoint

I dunno... like I said, I just wouldn't expect anything like that if I were to leave a site (XenForo or otherwise), but I also would never post a "bye" thread either.

You might get too much credit for KAM knowing who individual users are... I mean I run across users on my site that have 10,000 posts, and I've never once heard of them before. Even if KAM *does* happen to know who I am, I don't feel like I've ever done them some sort of favor and they own me some debt of gratitude. If anything, it would be the other way around, because for basically nothing ($140), they saved me thousands of hours of work so I don't have to develop my own framework. Hell, at this point I would have paid $100,000 for a license and would have been cheaper than building my own stuff.

9. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Fair enough, you've both said you're not bothered either way. But I wasn't looking at it from "what you'd want", but to suit XenForo. But never mind, doesn't matter anyhow really, they've gone now.

10. fattony69

fattony69 Regular Member

That is all I want. The editor is slow, the forum is awesome.

11. John

John Regular Member

Mainly I'd like to see them taking a more hands on approach to their business...which would help restore some lost confidence and help grow the market. Critical things someone in my business needs out of the product I'm developing for.

I would like these two very much as well, additionally I'd like to see the style management system cleaned up (needs some work). There are some other things too, but not show stoppers.

Brandon likes this.
  12. signal500

signal500 Regular Member

You probably wouldn't get one anyway because he's rather busy frolicking around the globe with his new girlfriend being "stressed" from this court case.

13. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    huh?
    please explain

14. WEfail

WEfail Regular Member

LOL @ this thread.
    I can't wait to see all the jump ship threads. "hey man, XF sold out, just installed PHPBB, tell your friends."

IB may be dysfunctional 99% of the time but really jumping to a new forum platform should always be done with the utmost care and diligence to mitigate losses. I believe the writing was on the wall from day one about IB vs XF. Why would anyone risk their business to prove a point? This is of course unless you can support the framework on your own or with a team.

I am guessing the XF devs get to tuck their tales and walk away from this with a lesson learned. Everyone who purchsaed XF is stuck standing there with their peckers in their hands. But theres good news and bad news. Bad news is that from my personal experience they won't be blogging about it for the next while.

Do people really care if buddy has a GF? I hope hes banging to take the edge off.

I love the I QUIT forum threads. Idiotic.

15. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Any news listed on PACER today, the start of another week? ;)

16. HWS

HWS Regular Member

@GTB: You (and I) were right. A settlement had been reached. Law case closed.

If I am allowed to speculate further: XenForo has been sold to IB.

17. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Why do you say that?

18. HWS

HWS Regular Member

Because it is the fact. ;-)
    See xenforo.com. ;-)

However we don't know the specifics of the agreement and if it is good or bad for XenForo (the company). Both parties have agreed to do some unknown things to close the case forever. It is speculated that IB will pay an undisclosed amount to XF and gets an undisclosed share of the software rights.

19. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I guess I don't see your point?
    The site looks the same as it has for months...

20. John

John Regular Member

He's referring to the settlement agreement that was confirmed via Pacer this afternoon. The discussion at XF about it is...well, let's just say it's like it usually is there. ;)

HWS likes this.