Logo: ever had a member make one for you?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by cpvr, Jul 30, 2012.

1. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Well, one thing that I strive in is always having a good looking logo for our community. I usually ask one my users to make one, or ask someone to do it. Never costs a penny, and I don't think I've ever spent a dime on a new logo. My users love enjoying making things for us.

Here's a logo that one of my members made, and we still use it today:
    awww.virtualpetlist.com_digitalvb_vbfour_misc_vbulletin4_logo.png

Has a member ever made a logo for you? Share it here.

Dan Hutter and Brandon like this.
  2. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Yup my logo's are all made by one guy who's a member of my DJ board. He's generally awesome at graphic arts. He's forever doing graphic work for me and won't take a dime. Over the winter I sent him an LED sign for his man cave. Just had to show my appreciation somehow.

3. Eric Lyon

Eric Lyon Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

First Name:
    Eric
    Logo's are a touchy subject due to sooooooo many copyright / Trademark violations out there today. The use of any clipart / stock images are strictly prohibited in 99.9% of all stock sites free & paid licenses as well as against TradeMark law since a tm MUST be unique and the TM holder MUST own 100% copyrights to all images used in the mark. The original designer of an image on a stock site retains the copyright to the image making it impossible to use it in a TM.

I've found that when dealing with designers on forums you have to be extra cautious when it comes to logo's as a high majority tend to try and sneak in copyright protected images that can get the buyer sued down the road.

We have a design contest section that requires constant monitoring and sadly we are always finding people breaking the rules trying to make a quick buck and not caring about the buyer getting into legal troubles later down the road. Your first step to making sure what you are buying is at least passable as original is to check 2 sources (Always check both since each looks for different elements in an image to match them):

1.) TinEye - Enter the url of the logo and it will search for similar images and display any duplicates it finds.
    2.) Google Images Duplicate Identifyer - When on the normal google images search page you'll notice a small "Camera Icon" to the right of the search box. Click the camera icon & a popup seach box will apear. Enter the url to the image and google will display similar and exact duplicate image matches.

Using both the above investigative measures it helps you protect yourself from some of the more blatant copyright legal headaches when buying from freelancers after a quick buck.

Eric Lyon

cpvr, Dan Hutter and benjaminp like this.
  4. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Great info. I never thought of half of that. Thanks Eric.

5. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

@Eric Lyon Thanks for that information, but the image in my logo is copyrighted to me, and my friends on over at Aywas.com because its based around one of their images. And their site is copyrighted/trademarked to my friend.