Locking Topics When The OP Does Not Reply After X Days

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by SpacewardAsh, May 18, 2011.

1. SpacewardAsh

SpacewardAsh Lurking From Space

First Name:
    Ashley
    Do you lock topics after the OP (Original Poster) does not reply after x days? If so, why, or why not? Let me know your thoughts here!

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Thats completely stupid. Why would anyone do that? I remember you telling me about it happening to you on another forum where they locked a normal thread for no reason just because you didnt reply in a certain amount Of time.

moneymakingmom and Ashley.S. like this.
  3. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I've never done this - I usually leave threads open, because they can still cause discussion. I only lock threads that break the rules, and that's the motto I've been following for years.

Ashley.S. likes this.
  4. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Same here, I see no reason to lock a normal thread if its not breaking any rules.

Ashley.S. likes this.
  5. SpacewardAsh

First Name:
    Ashley
    Yea, just because a user does not reply to it in x days, does not mean there's something wrong with it, if it's anything like me, I'm extremely busy to bump up my thread every 24 hours at every single place, so just because I don't reply, does not necessarily mean that I've abandoned the thread or the forum...

6. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

We don't do this on CT at all. Personally, I don't care if a topic is a month old or even a year old! Just so long as you have something relevant to say to the discussion, then heck, feel free to bump it up! We won't stop you. The necro rule is so stupid anyway and it drives me crazy.

Kaiser and Ashley.S. like this.
  7. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Tell me about it..

8. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

Hey, I've been on plenty of forums in my time that do this, and it's actually a really stupid rule. To be honest, I really can't see any genera of forum where this rule would be acceptable, unless of course it was a strict business forum or something like that.

9. Darthmaul

Darthmaul Regular Member

Personally I find that completely stupid. Unless the forum is being cleaned up, where an announcement should be posted in such case, because there are too many out of date topics, or the OP requests a lock, or they break a rule then there really shouldn't be a reason to lock a thread. Locking it because it's just a few days old is unprofessional.

10. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

I wouldn't even do it during a cleanup, unless it was something like old announcements, intros, or feedback threads. I wouldn't lock old discussion topics unless someone was simply asking advice for something and they were satisfied with the answer they receive.

11. Darthmaul

Darthmaul Regular Member

Well, what if there's a ton of old advertisements, marketplace topics, and things of that sort. I lock those, but I do agree with you about the discussions; I wouldn't normally lock them.

12. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

Well, we no longer have an advert section, nor do we have a market place, other than our shopping mall for CT Cash, but otherwise we don't have to worry too much about topics like those. I think our mall topics might be locked when the sale is finished or if we stopped offering the item, but that's about it.

13. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

If its a marketplace thread, and the user has yet to come back to it, I think it deserves to be locked, or if its a scam, then lock it, ya know? If a member is gone for a while, there's no point in keeping their thread up, they can make a new one.

14. Darthmaul

Darthmaul Regular Member

I agree with you on that one ;)

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Agreed. I dont like it when people create marketplace and exchange threads and never come back to check it.

16. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

Yeah, but keep in mind that people do make mistakes. I've created post exchange threads before and have totally forgotten to check back up on them at times, as I was often busy with other things... another big reason why I no longer do exchanges, even as a last resort.

Kaiser likes this.
  17. Mr.Hazey

Mr.Hazey Regular Member

I don't lock any topic unless it's a rule break, the only exception to the rule is if it is a Q&A topic then will lock dead topics.

Kaiser likes this.
  18. SpacewardAsh

First Name:
    Ashley
    Of course there's always going to be exceptions at the admins discretion. I'd only lock Q&A topics if the member had not logged in for x days or was banned, not because it had not been replied to it for x days...

Kaiser likes this.
  19. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea locking it because it has not been replied to in a few days is ludacris.

Ashley.S. likes this.
  20. Se7eN

Se7eN Regular Member

I wouldn't ever do this. First of all, it's kind of pointless. If a thread is dead, then I'll just let it be and let it fall to the bottom page. Second of all, if some other user searches the forum and finds that thread, the user might have something to say; but it might be locked and the user can't get his/her thoughts out.

The only threads I would ever lock are:
    1. Threads in the Questions/Support forum that have been answered.
    2. Threads that break the rules.

Ashley.S. and Kaiser like this.