Links between sites on the same server

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by Michael, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I have always wondered if Google will credit a site which has a link on it to another site on the very same server. I dont think they will somehow, what do you think?

2. David

David Regular Member

They greatly diminish in value (make the assumption its links from the same IP and not server). You'll see some specialized hosting companies offer unlimited subnet C class IP address's for this very purpose to build a network of sites that are interlinked and working together to dominate search engines.

Its usually costly around $20 per month for just shared hosting, but could be worth it if used correctly.

2 people like this.
  3. Michael

Michael Regular Member

So if you have two IP's available on a VPS, it is a good idea to have one site on the other IP you have been given true if theyre linked or a one way link from one of them to the other?

4. David

David Regular Member

2 different C class IP's yes.

simply two different IP address won't help much, as its the C class of the IP address you want to be different

An IP consist of 4 parts AAA.BBB.CCC.xxx - the first part is called A-class, the second part B-class and the third part C-class. So any IP under the last part will be in the same C-class. So for example:

123.123.123.1 and 123.123.123.2 are in the same C-class but (not what you want for seo)
    123.123.123.1 and 123.123.255.1 is in two different C-classes (what you want)

2 people like this.
  5. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Thanks for that, I am quite sure the other IP's are not different unfortunately.

6. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I've sometimes wondered what would happen if admins like us shared their reseller hosting plans. Instead of buying accounts with other hosts to get the benefits of linking from a different IP address we could trade hosting for a site or two.