Linking to other communities - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by cpvr, May 14, 2011.

1. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Have you ever linked out to other communities in your niche? If yes, how did it work for you? I know I used to do it, but not so much anymore, as the other communities like to copy my content and such.

So, do you link out?

2. Panik

Panik Regular Member

I have linked to many other communities in the same niche as myself. Normally if they are beginning or if they do not have much activity I will try and help them out as much as I possibly can. If they are a larger board with a lot of content that is original or beneficial to my members then I will also link out to them. It is always nice to help out other communities and they will possibly remember this and help you out if you are in a tight situation and are in need of some help.

3. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Why would you help them out though? Especially if they get the idea to create a community similar to yours. So, since you allow it, do you let members link out?

4. karoshio

karoshio Regular Member

I always try link to atleast a slightly different niche, never the exact, but i have before and its never been a negative result.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

When I had my gaming forum I would link with other forums but it never helped me much.

moneymakingmom likes this.
  6. bejay

bejay Regular Member

I don't, however if I choose to make another forum it's something I will definitely consider.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Why? Has it helped you in the past?

8. moneymakingmom

moneymakingmom Regular Member

I did active link exchanges for a mini-site once and it got plenty of visitors and even generated sales for the product being sold on the site. But, the link exchanges weren't for an exactly matched site. The mini-site was about ONE specific beauty product where as the link exchange partners were more generalized sites for beauty, health care, etc. So there was very little competition. At least, there was no fear on my part that I would lose real customers to anyone heading off the links page.

Link exchanges can work really well, just depending on the site.

As for providing one way links to other sites or forums in the same niche, I don't see how that would help out, at all. A link exchange would be better. Still, there's no guarantee you will get good reciprocal traffic.

Kaiser likes this.
  9. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea, its just a chance you will have to take. And it depends on your site's niche, how much Link exchanges will benefit you.

moneymakingmom likes this.
  10. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I think the only real benefit from this is getting members from the other community, but really there's no point if your community is bigger and has a nicer audience.