Last year's free domain day promotion

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by Tyler, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    When I made this thread just a few minutes ago, I reminded myself of that glorious free domain day promotion your may or may not remember from last year (last summer I believe). I forget the site but I think it was a NASCAR site of some sort. All you needed to do was enter a few e-mail addresses of people you were to bring to their site or something like that and you got a code to get a free .com domain from GoDaddy. This was easily and quickly abused, and I am one of the people that took advantage of it myself. It only lasted a few hours before they caught on, if I recall correctly.

I went to NamePros and looked in the recently available valuable domain section, browsed for some that interested me and I thought had potential, and got about four free .com domains that day. Does anyone else remember this? Did you get anything?

2. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

No, I'd never heard about this event. Sounds like a real free-for-all.

3. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    It was chaos for a day indeed. It didn't last long; they made it so you could only do it once when the word started to spread about free .com domains. And then I think they removed it altogether.

4. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Don't watch Nascar so wouldn't have visited the site with the promotion or known about it. I probably get notified in one of the hundreds of emails that GoDaddy sends me every year but they get automatically binned so I don't see them.

[email protected] > dev/null

5. Tom

Tom Regular Member

I wish I had heard about it!