Is this allowed?

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by Diesel, Jun 8, 2000.

1. Diesel

Diesel Regular Member

http://www.aliensoup.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/000039.html

Just my opinion, but it shouldn't be. If you already have the item up for auction on eBay, or some other site, you shouldn't be allowed to post it here. Essentially, it's SPAM. All he's doing is advertising something he's selling somewhere else.

I know it's not in the posting guidelines for For Sale/Trade, but maybe it's something that should be added.

------------------
    From another BBS:
    "hmm... Cyrix III, huh? You can put syrup on sh*t, but that don't make it pancakes."

2. CaptKirk

CaptKirk Regular Member

Well,

He did post it in For Sale/ Trade, not Hot Deals...

ebay is a safer way to do it than a "email me and I'll send ya the tix" thing so the spirit of law is partially being followed.

It SEEMS like if you email him, he would pull the auction and sell direct. Maybe?

It does feel wrong, but is it really?? Only the mods know.

The Capt.

------------------
    Scotty, the native aliens here ARE friendly...

3. Alien

Alien Regular Member

Heyas,

Hmm, I can see both sides of this.

Most things that are posted here however are going to be posted in another place as well, we can't pretend to have anandtech-like traffic where you can just stick it here and not have to worry about when a buyer comes along. .

So I guess 'my final answer' is to tolerate things for sale here that may be available elsewhere, but NOT things that are already posted by the user on other auction sites such as eBay, Yahoo, etc.

Sound reasonable? If so, I'll write up some kind of FAQ for that area.

------------------
    Alien - Administrator / Owner
    ["Everything was true. God was an alien. Oz really is over the
    rainbow. ...and Midian is where the monsters live." -Nightbreed]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2014
  4. Diesel

Diesel Regular Member

I'm not sure if you guys missed my intent, but IMHO, the real concern is not how this individual is presenting his sale/trade, but rather the whole picture of allowing users to post auction links.
    The real problem is that if you should happen to get increased exposure, everyone on eBay and their mothers will pop in here just to solely advertise their auctions. It's basically free advertising for their auction.
    It's not a big deal if only frequent posters here are occasionally posting links to their auctions, but you're leaving yourself wide open for headaches of massive proportions.

It's also kind of hypocritical to say that someone can't post a Vstore link in Hot Deals (because it's self-promotion), but they can post auction links in For Sale/Trade.
    I agree with the policy on Vstores, but think things should probably try to stay as consistent as possible BBS-wide.

Again, just my opinion.

------------------
    From another BBS:
    "hmm... Cyrix III, huh? You can put syrup on sh*t, but that don't make it pancakes."

5. Alien

Alien Regular Member

Yes, I happen to agree with all that. Was I unclear?

That's why I decided I'm not going to allow auction site links, we'll get frequent spam in there we don't need.

I'll be sure to close it tonight, I wouldn't want to seem 'inconsistant' or 'hypocritical'. .

------------------
    Alien - Administrator / Owner
    ["Everything was true. God was an alien. Oz really is over the
    rainbow. ...and Midian is where the monsters live." -Nightbreed]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2014