Is incompatibility with IE6 going to be fixed?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Ramya108, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Ramya108

Ramya108 Addict

First Name:
    Svetlana
    As far as I know, right now Vbulletin 4.0 is not compatible with IE6.
    Are they going to fix it, or will it remain this way?

2. kev

kev Regular Member

I'am going to guess that its going to stay thta way. Too many developers think IE 6 is outdated.

Developers think they know it all, and that they should be able to tell you what browser you should use.

3. combus

combus Addict

First Name:
    Jorge
    IMO, is a waste of time and effort to work so hard to make a completely outdated browser work.

I thought vB 4 it had support, since the CSS is filled with crap and cheap fixes. But I guess I was wrong, and those cheap fixes are there for some sort of other reason. But what can I know.

4. kev

kev Regular Member

Do you realize that a lot of companies use IE 6 for data entry for internal databases? So they should rewrite their code just because you said so? bah.

There is no need to fix something if it aint broke, and ie 6 works just fine - its the sites that are broke.

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

There's nothing wrong with this thinking except for the fact that 10% of Internet users still use IE 6: Browser Statistics. Regardless of how old it is, it's still in use by many. ;)

2 people like this.
  6. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook Regular Member

... you're kidding right?

To have to make hundreds of workarounds to get a modern website to display adequately in a 9 year old browser... and it's the websites fault, not the browsers.

Yeah, I know corporations have to use it for reasons X, Y, and Z. But that statement about IE6 incompatibility being the website designers fault is just ludicrous. Especially if the designer is coding according to standards.

7. kev

kev Regular Member

No, I'am not kidding.

Internet explorer 6 was released in 2001 - and has worked well for how many years? 7, 8, 9 years? But all of a sudden, its a junk, outdated browser?

That is comical at the best. At the worst, its really sad.

Its sad that developers "think" they can tell people what browser they should use.

8. Ryan Ashbrook

I would like to know your definition of "works well."

A browser that requires several dirty hacks to display the same result as a modern browser hardly "works well." A modern browser is any browser that is at least up to a minimum CSS2 W3C Specification. CSS2.1 is recommended. CSS3 is excellent.

And I don't tell people what browser to use. I recommend that they stay current with their browser of choice, so they can benefit from new features as well as security.

You're definition of a browser that "works well" is a designers definition of hell.

9. Noles

Noles Adept

First Name:
    Ryan
    It is outdated... :rolleyes:

10. Ryan Ashbrook

Forgot to mention PNG Transparency support as well. Which (like magic or something) is supported in almost every major modern browser to date.

11. Nick

Nick Regular Member

You have to consider the changing web standards and features. There's a reason Microsoft comes out with subsequent version of Internet Explorer (7 and 8).

12. kev

kev Regular Member

Just because toyota came out with a tundra, does not mean that my T-100 is outdated.

Besides that, programs are "supposed" to be modular. If a new feature comes out, just install it.

Is there a real need to reinvent the tire? If you want to spice it up, just add a new set of rims.

13. Nick

Nick Regular Member

This example isn't comparable. The roads aren't being changed to require a new kind of car to be able to properly drive on them.

14. Ryan Ashbrook

Umm... yeah. There's always a need to re-invent something. It's called improvement.

Sure, you're T-100 may still run. But is it as efficient as the newer models? Not likely. Hence, re-invention occurs to make it run, and look, better.

What really baffles me is that you're advocating a browser that is outdated not once, but twice. Soon to be three times (Internet Explorer 9 is due this year, if I recall).

15. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

To say its not compatible is not true, there are quite a few display issues, which are slowly getting fixed, but its [mostly] usable.

You only have to read the replies in this thread and .com to see how true that is. The idiots that just say "tell your users to upgrade" or even better "tell your company to upgrade" are just so far off reality its quite sad (one in particular springs to mind ....).

The plain and simple fact is that IE6 is still in use, and more popular than some of the more "modern" browsers like chrome and safari. All the spouting in the world by developers aint going to change that.

If a new user is looking for a site, and they find yours and another, and yours displays poorly in their IE6, while the other displays fine, guess which one they are going to join .......

16. Ryan Ashbrook

Not once did I say "tell your users to upgrade."

I recommend it, yes, but I also stated that I understand why some can't. (See my first post)

I do not advocate the use of IE6, and I haven't since IE7 came out.

I hate IE6, but I'm still putting forward the work required to make it at least work on my projects. I'm just not bending over backwards for it.

But, if a user can upgrade, but doesn't choose too, then they are getting something less than optimal. I have too much to do, to spend weeks coding up IE6 workarounds.

17. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Considering the average computer user who isn't keen on using the latest-and-greatest, it doesn't really matter to them if they upgrade or not. If the sites they visit work fine in their browser of choice (in this case, IE 6) and they happen along one website that isn't compatible, they aren't going to make it a point to upgrade just to use that site. They will simply move along and forget about the incompatible site.

18. Ryan Ashbrook

... isn't that what I said?

Essentially, it won't be perfect, but it will be usable. (less than optimal)

19. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Nor did I say you did.

20. kev

kev Regular Member

By whos definition is ie 6 outdated? There comes a point in time when it "just works". When something works, there is no need in fixing it.

As for transparency - I really dont care about that. I just want to look at the website.

I dont care if internet explorer 9,000 comes out - I'am going to use the version that I like.