IPB 3.0 - Released!

Discussion in 'IP.Board Discussions' started by Nick, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    IPS released plans and images months before Jelsoft did, so you're completely incorrect.

2. Sick

Sick Newcomer

First Name:
    Sam
    Show me.

3. Justin S.

Justin S. Regular Member

IPB 3 was not rushed out with the intention of beating vB 4. Initial information about IPB 3 dates back to April 2008 (IP.Board 3.0 Development Introduction). The preview board was opened up to the public in November 2008 (IP.Board 3.0.0 Preview Now Open to All), which was when the public saw the theme for the first time.

As far as vB 4 goes, I believe some of the first information (well, about the CMS) was posted in December 2008 - AFTER the IPB 3 preview board had already been open for a month (Development Update). The first mentions style-wise of vB 4 were in February 2009 (De-tabulating the vBulletin Forumdisplay). The first look of the vB 4 style followed in April 2009 (First Look: The vBulletin 4.0 Style). That's about 6 months after the IPB 3 theme was first revealed.

Clearly, to say that IPB 3 is a result of vB 4 would be, well, false.

2 people like this.
  4. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Invision Power Board 3.0.0 Beta 1 Released - Invision Power Services

Jelsoft only recently released more information and pictures of vB4 two months ago or less. What you see as IP.Board 3.0.0 is what it's looked like since beta 1 came out on their preview site, back in very early November 2008. The current functions of vB 3.7-3.8 were taken from IP.Board

5. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Now get lost. :)

I just bought my first IP.Board license. I've been with vBulletin for 5 years but I'm so sick of their crap with Internet Brands I'm done. Looking forward to working with IP.Board.

6. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Welcome to the bright side, BamaStangGuy. :)

7. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

I predict I will own 4-5 more licenses in a few months

8. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    I think I just died and went to heaven. :D

9. Cole

Cole Addict

First Name:
    Cole
    I have been thinking about investing in an IPB license; however, I do a nice amount of programming work on the vBulletin platform, and I do not want to get rid of my vB license. And I am not sure whether 3.0 justifies buying an additional license.

10. Destiny

Destiny Newcomer

I've been testing 3.0 out on my local PC and loving the new features. Not keen on the visual look at board index but I suspect a different skin will make a big difference there. I have a license but no active forum at the moment but will get 3.0 when I'm all ready to get my new forum going. :cool:

11. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I bought my first IPB license I also predict at least 5 and maybe more in the next year.

12. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I just went to a site using IPBoards Community Suite and WOW!

It's VERY good and could really give vBulletin a run for it's money. $249.99 for the Forums, Gallery and Blog options...hmm...have to look into this further. I'm going to have to read up on this software through this thread some more. :)

http://www.invisionpower.com/products/

13. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

Should I try this out? I have a license that expired a while ago. I bought it in 05! lol I just remembered about it! I should be able to renew for like $20 or something and be on my way? Yeah? hahah

14. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I was very impressed with the Community Suite. Just very cool features and options and flowed smoothly.

15. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I really hope vb4 puts this to shame :D It really is stunning :)

16. Mike

Mike Adept

First Name:
    Mike
    I'm really watching with a lot more than casual interest when I see some long-time vB admins making the switch to IPB. I am reluctant to leave the familiarity of vB behind, but it looks as if that is what is going to happen.

I spent some time with the IPB demo a couple weeks back and was well and truly impressed. The simplicity of setting permissions is almost enough to sell me on switching.

I keep thinking about the mod community at vB.org and how I might end up missing that resource. Then I think of all the huge vB forums that are running the standard vB style and scarcely any mods at all. How many styles and modifications does one really need to operate a successful forum site?

I've been looking at all the alternatives to vB for a few weeks now and find myself coming back to IPB each time. And can you imagine the sales people at Invision actually answer my questions, even when it comes down to pricing? I'm yet to hear them say 'no' or 'I don't know'.

I suspect IB will end up with a wash. They are starting to lose customers, but the higher price of their new package will make up for those who leave.

17. Kakeru

Kakeru Addict

I wasn't aware IPB had a new and higher priced package? o.o

18. Mike

Mike Adept

First Name:
    Mike
    Nor was I.

19. David

David Regular Member

I'm just waiting for a few minor modifications that are in the works for IPB3 and I'll be finalizing my switch over and can't wait!

20. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

I keep looking at it! It is pretty nice.

I can't believe I forgot about my license. I don't even have to pay anything for 3.0 either! ahhaha I guess I bought a lifetime license!