IPB 3.0 - Released!

Discussion in 'IP.Board Discussions' started by Nick, Jun 26, 2009.

1. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Just signed up to see the demo, Chris. Gotta wait 15 mins now. u_u

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Excellent. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts. :)

3. The Real Patrick

The Real Patrick Newcomer

First Name:
    Patrick
    I've taken vB for a test run, and IPB, and I have to say I like IPB a lot more. The ACP looks a lot cleaner and modern, and I like the overall look of the forums.

4. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Hmm... Looks ok... I have a REALLY big computer, so it looks so..big.. and bulky. Like extremely big.

I kind of like the AdminCP, but again, kind of bulky...

x.x I went to the admin CP to create forums and such, I didn't like how it looked, since it was so big in my eyes. My computer confuses me as it is >< Just more bulkyness makes me have a headache.

Also, I noticed they changed how to make a style, me like the new style of the look and feel, so much better than the previous one! <3333 Kind of love this part now. x.x

I loved the tabs, since you can edit them tab by tab >< I really like this IPB feature.

I also like that is has a Gallery integrated and not that we'd have to buy/find a plugin for it. =\ I don't like the blog feature, but I guess it would be handy for other people.

Oh, the download manager is cool also.

Oh, I like that you can download each MySQL file independently.

LOVE the report center. Again... I don't like the user profiles...they look like uhh, myspace? with the "Admin has not set their status". Idk IMO it could bring many negative things, like in an anime site many attention whores will be using and people would be making topics about it unecesairly. They do it even with not the capeability now~ It's so...big... bulky... >< Really everything I saw was TOO big, I didn't like it.
    Screenshots below:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/sexy_goldy_rican/Big.png
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/sexy_goldy_rican/Big2.png
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/sexy_goldy_rican/huge.png
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/sexy_goldy_rican/huge2.png

5. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Corporations spend millions of dollars every year on proprietary software. For the last decade a lot of that has been built into Internet Explorer. It is expensive to upgrade if the new version doesn't support your application. My father works as a Insurance Claims Adjuster for Farmer's Insurance. He does major loss ($100,000 or more). They just upgraded to Internet Explorer 7 after the company spent $15 million updating the software and another $3 million on training. They are probably looking at another $10 Million to upgrade to IE8 now.

It is not as simple as clicking "Apply Updates" in Windows Update. That is if the computers even have permissions to access Windows Update. When you run a few computers, maybe a couple hundred, then its fairly easy. When you need to make sure that 50,000 workstations in dozens of configurations work properly then you have a big job on your hands.

6. Nick

Nick Regular Member

If I'm not mistaken, each of those (Gallery, Blog, Downloads) are all separate add-ons that must be purchased. They're just included in the demo. ;)

I think everything is so big because your monitor is huge! LOL
    You use the HP Touchsmart don't you? I guess the pages stretch to the size of your monitor.

7. Chris

Chris Regular Member

FMB, it is huge - I agree with you there. It looks rather hilarious on a 24" widescreen. :D

8. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

D: Ohh, well I thought bc they said "Official IPS Application"

Yes, it does, it's HUGE when I make my browser Full-screen. Though wouldn't it be better for them to release of make it so it wouldn't look so bulky? I mean, like I know that it could be customized, as I kind of do immediately, but it's a new "upgrade", people might have to keep the default one for a bit meanwhile skinners get the job done.

xDDDD I wonder how would it look on 27".

9. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I just delved in to the demo further and I realize they now have topic multi-moderation functionality. It's about time. MyBB has had this for a long time, and I still haven't figured out why vBulletin doesn't yet. :rolleyes:

I also love the "live search" feature within the AdminCP; it's GREAT!

10. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Actually I started to get the liking of IPB [style wise] on how to edit the templates. Has to be one of my favorite features.

11. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Have you ever played with vB's template system?

12. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Oh yes, that's another nummy template system <3

I really like vB's template, how they are so specific, I love IPB's tab system, has to be the BEST feature of it [apart from the modern look], and Gotta love MyBB's way of changing the CSS.

13. Rocket 442

Rocket 442 Ambitious, but Rubbish

First Name:
    Andy
    I actually hate template systems on forums like vBulletin.

I'd rather use actual files I can use in my syntax editors, not a stupid text box on a website. So I keep .php files of all my templates for my sites because its such a pain to do it on the site via the website.

14. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I wish there was an easy way to use both, like in WordPress. Editing the template in the web-based editor modifies the actual file in the style folder. Now that would be perfect... because sometimes I prefer working in the online editor, and sometimes I need to work in a local program.

And if it used files like WordPress, it would be easy to backup the templates (which I often do (via copy and paste, save in .txt) before making major revisions).

15. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I agree, I'd love to be able to work on templates in Dreamweaver and then upload them all at once, yet still have the option to use the online editor when I don't have access to the original files or FTP.

16. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Invision Power Board 3.0.0 and Applications released - Current Customers Please Read!

Anyone who is a customer, with a valid 6 month support plan in effect, go ahead and download the new version. 3.0.1 is expect soon within a week or two.

If you don't have a valid support plan, the 6 month renewal plan for support will remain the same price. That is $25.00

New customers may purchase a IP.Board license for a reduced price of $129.99, offset from the regular $149.99

Free conversion service for forum owners! Valued at the normal $60.00 conversion fee! Individual employees will deal with individual customers - Quality assurance guaranteed.

http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/2858...onversion-sale/

Off ends June 30 2009 at 5:00 PM EDT

---------------------------------------

News Link

Company Site

Company Forums

We are pleased to announce Invision Power Board 3.0.0 and its Applications have been released.

This is the first supported release of Invision Power Board 3.0.0! We would like to thank everyone who has helped beta test the product so we can release as stable a product as possible today.

Products Released

• Invision Power Board 3.0.0
    • Invision Power Gallery 3.0.0
    • Invision Power Blog 2.0.0
    • Invision Power Downloads 2.0.0
    • Invision Power Converge 1.1.0

Please note that this is the very first supported release of these products. As with any large software product, it can take several maintenance releases to work out most of the remaining bugs or oddities left in the software which are only discovered when many thousands of installs are done. We had an extensive beta period and a staggered launch of IP.Board 3.0.0 to catch most issues. Initial feedback on 3.0.0's first supported release has been great but, even so, we do expect to have a 3.0.1 release in the next couple weeks.

Downloading and Installing

You can download all products you have a license for in the IPS client area. There are no upgrade packs as this update requires you upload all files in the download.

Be sure to follow the install upgrade instructions. Remember that any skins, modifications, graphics, etc. on your version 2.x IPB will not work on IP.Board 3.0. You will not lose any posts or member information in the upgrade.

Technical Support

Technical support is now available for IP.Board 3.0.0 and the Applications. Please be patient during this initial launch phase as response times may be longer than normal due to the increased volume of requests. Phone support will also be delayed.

Important: If you would like our staff to install or upgrade for you, please be aware that there can be delays of many days for install or upgrade services during this initial launch phase. Whenever possible, please consider performing the install or upgrade yourself to save time waiting.

Above all: enjoy the new products! We have worked hard on the updates and wish you continued success with your online communities!

Subscriptions Manager and MS-SQL Database

The subscriptions manager and MS-SQL database driver are not yet available. They will be released separately very soon. Our apologies for the delay. Rest assured we are making these releases a priority.

New IPS Web Site

We are also launching our new company web site on invisionpower.com today. Please forgive any navigation issues on the site while we apply the new content.

A quick reminder to check IP.Board 3.0.0's requirements before attempting to install or upgrade. We will be maintaining the 2.3.x branch for those on outdated hosting providers who have not upgraded their server software.

Subscriptions Manager

We know that many customers are waiting of the Subscriptions Manager to be released so they can upgrade to IPB3. We sincerely apologize for this delay. The Subscriptions Manager update to be compatible with IPB3 is currently our number one priority.

The release coming soon will be a compatibility release for IPB3. However, we will put resources toward making a significant feature update to Subscriptions Manager once this compatibility update is stable for everyone.

We are working diligently to get this update out. Thank you for your patience and keep an eye out for an announcement.

17. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Boss, I've merged your thread into the already-existing 3.0 thread. :D

18. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

I like this part, it shows realistic expectations.

Does IPB allow for a test board under it's licensing agreement? Like testvb?

19. Kakeru

Kakeru Addict

It was already released before the announcement, actually.

Yes.

20. Sick

Sick Newcomer

First Name:
    Sam
    I'm not too impressed at all, seems to me like they are trying to just beat vB with the new layout and such. Good for them but I saw this coming when vB announced their changes, I just knew IPB would attempt and succeed at releasing similar sooner.