Invited in to help fight piracy!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jennifer Price, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Jennifer Price

Jennifer Price Regular Member

Kurt sent me an email that had a trail of emails. The last was dated Oct 21st where he was asking for our contact information from Harrington because we weren't in the SC system.

2. Thunder Hag

Thunder Hag Regular Member

Well I meant that your wouldn't simply forget handing over your hard earned money because you felt bullied, but I could be wrong, it does appear that you really did do an absolute 180, I was hoping that ONE conversation wouldn't be all it took. I guess I was wrong... like someone else said, actions speak louder than words. How does someone have their whole opinion of an action changed by words? I don't get it.

3. Loneavenger

Loneavenger Regular Member

It's a little thing in society called forgiveness, and NOT holding a grudge. It sounds like Kurt is going to help make things right, why would you stay mad?

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Jennifer,

I have every confidence that Kurt will do right by you (he always has when he deals with reasonable people). When SC did their 25th anniversary sale he came on here and told everyone how they could take advantage of it to get major discounts on everything in the "available" library. I purchased 100 disc from him at that time (some for replacements, but most simply because I didn't have them) for less than $1000, it was an awesome deal that filled in many holes in my library. Honestly I can't think of a more straight up guy. A little secret here that is not so much a secret, if you buy 30 disc SC discounts them to the same level as if you were purchasing a foundation package.

5. Thunder Hag

That wasn't a little condescending was it?

Because someone SAYING they are gonna do something and doing it are two different things!
    Also, If I feel like I was taking advantage of...just because someone after the fact fixes the issue, and while I DO forgive people this doesn't mean I forget that they did it in the first place.

I never said I would stay mad, I said I wouldn't be so eager to do a 180, given that so far nothing but words have been done. Wasn't it words that were not followed up on, and words that made her feel taken advantage of in the first place?

I am not ignorant to the fact that Kurt talks a good game, he would have to in order to be as successful as he was/is whatever. But putting all my faith in someone who's company already made me feel one way, would not so easily sway me away from those feelings until I SAW action.

Now if and when Kurt hands her over her money or goes above and beyond, and I think he will. THEN decide to do a 180.

I think given the circumstances Kurt will do the absolute best he can by her NOW.

His reasons on the other hand...are his own and we can only speculate. However I find no need to.

6. possumdog

possumdog Regular Member

I have been watching rather than jumping on this because Jennifer seems to have been expressing mixed thoughts from her first post. On the one hand she was expressing her anger and feeling she had been pressured and treated unfairly and on the other she was saying she still supported SCs efforts. I would scratch my head a bit but it seemed to go along with how some others have felt where they didn't fully approve of SCs methods and felt harmed by them but felt the pirates had done even more harm and were the worse evil so decided to go in with SC's efforts.

I'm not sure if she did a complete 180 as she has been pretty much on a roller coaster all along. Seems she is just choosing to give more sway to one side of her thoughts at the moment based on the new info she has to work with now. Don't mean to speak for her--just saying that I don't see a complete 180 as she has always seemed to have been weighing both sides of the issue back and forth.

7. Thunder Hag

You may be right...
    But my point is still valid, because even if it were a roller coaster, no one stopped the cars yet, they just slowed it down is all. At least at this point.

Wouldn't you say?

8. possumdog

possumdog Regular Member

Yes. Paragraph two, sentence two. "Based on the new info she has to work with now." We are all free to change our minds as we get new info.

9. c. staley

c. staley Regular Member

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure that I agree with it because it's like saying; "Stab me in the back because gunshot wounds really sting!" Either way, there is going to be some "harm." I don't see any harm as being a "necessary evil."

I agree, however the question of the hour is: "after talking to Kurt, would she be willing to settle if she had to do it all over again?"

10. Thunder Hag

I don't feel like looking for it, but she stated in another post, that she wouldn't have settled.

11. Diafel

Diafel Regular Member

She also stated that she would never settle again.
    She also has stated that because she signed, she effectively made her bed and will now lie in it, and won't really complain too much about that part of it.

12. Thunder Hag

Touche!

Guess I missed the obvious!

13. Jennifer Price

You guys don't know what Kurt and I discussed. I am EXTREMELY happy with what we discussed. I'm not going to say exactly what happened, because we are still working things out. My husband and I were up until 6 am discussing my conversation and 15 emails with Kurt. I did tell Kurt I would not settle again if I had to do it over. His response was very generous. That is from our personal situation. It's something I'd say is nonya bidnez...

Kurt has been fighting this battle alone with the whole world against him. My husband and I have been fighting this battle alone with every KJ in Raleigh (except Skid and Doug) threatening bodily harm or worse for our stand against piracy. None of us can do this alone. Kurt cannot be the only label to fight this. Going forward, I think you will see that as Chartbuster, Stellar and others join the effort, with the support of all the 100% legal operators, things will improve quickly. This is not a one man effort and I feel like I have an Ally in Kurt Slep.

I was strong armed by his attorney. Kurt had no clue who we were, that we'd been in business for 20 years and had 30.,000 songs on discs. He's heard enough totally illegal people claim to be legal that he had no reason to believe that we were telling the truth. Having seen one of our regular pot smoking water drinkers suddenly end up with a hard drive and 120,000 songs and claim to be legal, I can understand Kurt not listening to or believing our individual case. He does now. I can't blame him for that.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Jennifer,

I am glad it is working out for you and David. I knew once you had a chance to talk with Kurt that you would like the way he handles himself!

15. c. staley

c. staley Regular Member

And again, Kurt is fully aware of how his attorney operates...he pays him to do it. If Kurt didn't/doesn't approve of strong-arming he can simply fire his attorney and hire a new one or file a malpractice suit against him and hire a new one or file a grievance against him and hire a new one. Or at the least, tell him to STOP doing it.

With all due respect Jennifer - and I do appreciate all that you've shared with us - Kurt is not "out of the loop" on how his attorney operates and he is fully capable of tearing up your settlement RIGHT NOW and working out a different deal with you.... but don't count it.

16. Jennifer Price

I have one very important point to make, so please read this, digest this, and consider both sides of the issue.

Kurt Slep started SC. It is his baby. When you guys slam SC or Kurt personally for standing up for his rights and fighting to save his company, it's like a mother bear protecting her cub. He fights back. Anyone who cares deeply about something would react that way.

Have you guys tried IN ANY WAY to help fight piracy? I've done so much already that Kurt knew I was trying to help, not hurt SC. He respected my efforts and the fact that I never made the assumption that he was a jerk. After several emails back and forth and him seeing me remain reasonable, he gave me his cell number so we could actually talk. Had I responded with threats or insults, he would have written me off like he seems to have so many of ya'll.

Remember, you get what you give. That's a good life lesson.

17. Jennifer Price

Maybe he has the power to do that. Maybe he is considering it. Maybe I have to prove to him that I will follow through with what we agree on first. Maybe I'm willing to help in this effort with or without financial compensation from him. Again all of that is Nonya bidnez.

Your comment about his attorney using those tactics is correct. Kurt wants the pirates to pay him. I want the pirates to pay him or go out of business. Kurt's attorney is VERY good at what he does and Kurt and I laughed about it. I wish his attorney would use those tactics on any of the pirates in the area. However, they have changed their tactics already as Skid will attest. They now send a demand letter before filing the lawsuit. Why are you still complaining about something that has been corrected?

18. Wall Of Sound

Wall Of Sound Regular Member

Thank you Jennifer for this adult perception on life. Bravo!

19. c. staley

c. staley Regular Member

I'm not complaining about anything.... you are the one that complained you were "strong armed by his attorney" and that they use "mob tactics." All I'm saying is that Kurt is completely aware of it since you made it sound like he was some angel and had no idea what his own attorney was doing. All I'm saying is he does know - and he obviously approves of it - it worked on you didn't it? You paid him.. right?

And yes, you are correct, the details are none-oh-my-BIDness.... Imma jest axin' a question..

20. Birdofsong

Birdofsong Regular Member

With all due respect, you seemed to think it was our "bidnez" a couple of days ago when you were angry and venting.