Invited in to help fight piracy!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jennifer Price, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Diafel

Diafel Regular Member

It's something that Kurt insists that everyone here (except the SC supporters) do, but refuses to do himself.
    I only use that phrase when I feel it needs clarifying, so other posters don't take what I've said out of context.

2. Jennifer Price

Jennifer Price Regular Member

I didn't spy for SC. I never set foot in a bar other than ones I or my husband were working. I simply collected information off facebook and passed it on. I organized it in a spreadsheet for them. I only included those that were definitely using the illegal hard drive. That means all those with a list of at least 117.000 that had not been running karaoke shows for more than 2 years when the hard drive popped up.

3. Diafel

Diafel Regular Member

Sorry about that. Thanks for clarifying. I do wonder though, why they wouldn't do this themselves? It can't be that hard.

4. c. staley

c. staley Regular Member

I will bet you dollars-to-donuts that they've taken your information and used it to sue others... making YOU their "investigator" by proxy.... (in my opinion of course)

It's all becoming clearer to me now.... As Diafel stated, SC isn't out to stop piracy. Kurt has admitted in the past that his motivation is to "turn pirates into customers" so by simply getting a list from you, he can now go after them and use your information to threaten them. I doubt many of the pirates will go away, simply get the same deal you did with great financing and keep right on truckin'.... Bar jobs will not be paying more anytime soon.

5. Diafel

Diafel Regular Member

My thoughts exactly.
    It's starting to become a little clearer just how they do their "investigations".

6. Jennifer Price

So would you call me a SC supporter or detractor at this point? I'm confused as to what I am... I support the effort, but I'm not happy about the way that I've been treated.... Kurt has the power here to convert me to his way of thinking or to totally blow me off.

I have no problem with them sending out lawsuits for people on my list. I have sent photos with the SC logo in the background. I've made their case for them in at least 15 cases... If they let them off with deleting tracks, I'm gonna be a little mad... If I don't at least get paid what I paid for the discs I sent them and the shipping I'm gonna be a little mad. I would hope for more, but I am quickly losing faith.

7. Diafel

Diafel Regular Member

I won't call you anything other than Jennifer.
    Others, however may see things a little differently.
    You may well just end up getting called Anti-SC or a pirate supporter or who knows what else.
    I only say this because it's happened to me, personally, and to others here as well, because I do not like SC's methods and I've been outspoken about it.
    I'm one of the few who have removed my SC product from my books and am not currently using it, nor am I purchasing anything more from them. I had very few to begin with, so it's not such a big deal to me.
    Then again, they may well just let you sit on your fence. Let's hope so.

:)

8. Jennifer Price

I have no problem with anyone who does not use SC as long as your list is 1:1. My list is 1:1 and sometimes I'm finding that I'm actually missing tracks. I just found 2200 songs that I had on disc but didn't have on my list last week. I will back SC in their fight to end piracy til the death. I was actually threatened with death by Miguel a local karaoke host who never bought a disc in his life. All I ask is to be treated with a little respect for my huge efforts to help their fight.

9. c. staley

c. staley Regular Member

You are rightly confused.

On one hand, you've made your settlement deal and now you want the pirates to go away. I believe we all want that.

On the other hand, there are still some very open "wounds" here from feeling taken advantage of and tricked and then suckered for more information on promises that they are now not fulfilling.

You'll have to see what happens from here, but if you were asking my advice, I'd tell you not to give up any more information without compensation FIRST. You've played their game, their way and so far, the only one getting screwed here is you.

10. KjFlorida

KjFlorida Regular Member

I understand your concerns, because I, too, was named by Sound Choice. Because I started buying cdg's in 1994, I have a HUGE collection that provided three HUGE disk operated systems before I even started converting to hard drive. Unfortunately, by the time I had launched my first computerized system, the pirates had invaded my local market and my shows had declined from two to three shows per night to one per night.

I am sure that when the investigators looked at my system, like yours, they couldn't imagine that I actually owned that many disks. So I ended up on their list. When I received my letter I expressed my dismay to my attorney, who suggested that I just apply for an audit. I did so without delay.

They audit as went smoothly as I could have expected with so much to inspect. The auditors were respectful and intelligent. I was declared in compliance without any dispute. They concluded the process with a sincere regret for my inconvenience and appreciation for my patronage as a legitimate consumer.

In a perfect world, maybe neither of us would have been involved, but my experience suggests that Sound Choice is not the big bad wolf as some contend. They are the only spearhead against piracy that I have found active whether intentional or not. For that I, too, appreciate their efforts!

Rather than beat ourselves up over the past, maybe we should, as you have indicated, focus on the future challenges that we will face. After all, honest people shouldn't be looking back at mistakes. It is better to learn and keep moving forward.

I wish you luck in your future. I have a feeling this will end up making you stronger. And hopefully the fight against piracy will soon be won!

KjFlorida

11. Diafel

Diafel Regular Member

Once again, SC is NOT fighting piracy!
    I am 1:1
    I think I'm also 1:0, regarding some discs, with the first number representing the discs and the second number representing the hard drive. LOL!
    As for respect, you already have it.
    Cheers!

12. KjAthena

KjAthena Regular Member

Jennifer Price,
    Welcome to the boards. I have read your thread and can feel your frustration. I am very happy to see you post your support against piracy :winkpill: I hope you will be able to make the "Cheerleaders" meeting.:biggrinpill:

My DH and I were named in a suit and went tru the audit process after speaking with a copyright attny (only $400 consult). We were 1-1 and was able to prove it. SC was very easy to deal with and we are overjoyed at the actions they are taking against the pirates.:yespill:

I also have no problem "hunting pirates" and educating venues and customers. I do not exspect it to turn around over night. It took 5 years in my area to get this bad and it may take another 5 to recovery(I hope not...maybe 2 1/2 to 3). If you want take the time to read my past threads they are very enlightening.

I did check my original paperwork on the settlement it offered all available SC discs from the catalog but I can see how someone might not check the website to see what was available. I can also see how you would be disapointed that you didnt get every SC disc ever made.

Please take the time to post on the how piracy has effected you personally thread as I feel you have alot to share and it may help others that read the boards.

If you find anyone that "pushes your buttons" too much use the ignore button it makes the boards much easier and more plesent

Again Welcome to "our Sandbox" I hope to get to know you:biggrinpill:

13. Jennifer Price

Thanks for the support. I am not frustrated that we settled. I'm frustrated that we were promised things for our efforts that went way beyond the average person. We bought illegal discs online that were supposed to be legal and sent them to SC so they could use them as evidence. Michael promised we would be reimbursed for the discs. Once the discs were sent, they quit answering our phone calls and never returned them when we left messages. It is very frustrating being ignored when we have a legitimate expenditure of cash for SC and they don't seem to care. If my payment is 10 days late, they get a freakin $100 late fee added to it. I certainly hope Kurt reads this thread. I can't say he's guilty of this behavior since I've never actually spoken to him.

14. DannyGKaraoke

DannyGKaraoke Regular Member

If anything they should just apply what you spent sending the discs and info to your settlement.

15. c. staley

c. staley Regular Member

Danny,

That wasn't part of the deal. Only a schnook or a crook will change a deal midstream when of course they already have the goods or the money or both.

16. KjAthena

KjAthena Regular Member

Jennifer,
    I have to ask did you buy these discs after your settlement to assist SC or were these discs you were duped into buying before? We have had occations over the years where we we duped and ended up eating the costs...this really pissed me off...restitution was ordered but we will most likley never see a dime:unhappypill:

17. Jennifer Price

These discs were bought online from someone selling used karaoke SC discs. He was told we had settled with SC and were totally legal, so if his discs were not real SC discs, we didn't want them. He swore they were legal discs. The day they came in, we called SC and reported that he was selling on ebay. They asked for the discs to be sent to them so they didn't have to buy the discs themselves. They wanted to use ours as evidence. We were told we would be reimburst for the discs and the shipping to SC... I'm still waiting........ Taking it off the settlement would even be fine, but they just quit returning calls when they owed us something.

18. Diafel

Diafel Regular Member

It's too bad, because you could have got your money back through eBay. You would have had to return the discs to the seller, however. But you would have had your money back.

19. Thunder Hag

Thunder Hag Regular Member

I have been Branded a ANTI -SC person as well, and I am the one who started the thread "Hard Drive Sellers". GO FIGURE :rolleyespill:

20. Thunder Hag

Thunder Hag Regular Member

Why wouldn't they just purchase them themselves then? Sounds like if they never intended to make it right? OR there was some SERIOUS miss communication somewhere.