Invited in to help fight piracy!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jennifer Price, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Jennifer Price

Jennifer Price Regular Member

You are absolutely right about EVERYONE. I do know that people are afraid to use SC at all right now. I did notice the change in the language and did speak to their attorney about it. I was very angry at SC and considered not using their stuff, but SC discs are usually very good quality and I didn't want my customers to suffer. My husband and I decided to bite the bullet and pay because we did not have nearly as many SC songs as the competition.

We have been in business for 20 years. We were up to 30,000 songs when we got the letter from SC. We had so many people in our area buying an illegal hard drive with 117,000 songs on it that we couldn't compete. No one cared that they were undercutting us and trying to put us out of business.

We saw the SC lawsuit as the beginning of the end for those pirates. We gave excel spreadsheets to SC and links to stuff on the internet to get the pirates shut down. A year later, they finally acted. That was when the pirates around here deleted their tracks. If you have legal tracks and are scared to use them, you understand why I settled... Court is a big scary thing...

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Well at least you are one of the few left in your area that has the Sound Choice songs available. Too bad you weren't here sooner before you received the "letter" you could have had the information before hand.

3. Jennifer Price

Yes, that is what I said, I was filling in for him while he was out on disability and my name was nowhere on the lawsuit... I have the payments from Aflac as proof....

4. Guest

Guest Guest

If the business is in his name it doesn't matter who is operating it!

5. Jennifer Price

I'm just ready for the bars to get letters, and for CB and Stellar to do the same thing...

6. Diafel

Diafel Regular Member

Seems to me to be another botched case then. Like I have asked before, I wonder just how many there are out there that don't know about this forum and how many will eventually crawl out of the woodwork?
    I guess that means that Kurt's mistake to success ratio goes down....

7. DannyGKaraoke

DannyGKaraoke Regular Member

They should be soon following suit. My suggestion instead of settling this time, go on the offensive get audited before they sue.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Nothing was botched on the end of the Manu, Jennifer's husband botched his end by settling before finding out all information in the matter. They were operating a computer system so the violation was already in place, had they contacted SC or the attorney's and asked for an audit instead of a settlement it would have been "end of story", Ask Athena and Skid.

9. Jennifer Price

I'm not saying I didn't know what I was signing. I did see the change in the wording and did speak to the attorney about it. He said it was all that was available and still in print. I'm not saying it was a mistake to settle. I did get a lot of new music from the settlement.

Things were so bad in this area that I was charging $150 a night and being undercut... The only reason we stayed in business is because one bar owner we worked for for the last 18 years added nights in his 3 bars to keep us busy at the rate he pays. I know for a fact that many here in Raleigh are charging $50 to $75 per night. They need to be stopped!

10. Jennifer Price

That's true, but they didn't know he was out of work... And the business is in both our names.... So why wasn't I named. Someone turned in my husband's name and he was never visited...

11. c. staley

c. staley Regular Member

That is part of the "sterling investigative work" that they've been chastised for here and they've basically blown it off.

12. Jennifer Price

Ya'll are all missing the point that I WANTED THE ENTIRE SC CATALOGUE... That was why we settled. That was why we agreed to the terms... That was why the agreement was changed so we didn't have to admit guilt... And we were given a discount and our financing was spread out longer than others....

13. c. staley

c. staley Regular Member

They were MISLED on what they would receive for settling AND the wording was changed.

Try as you may Thunder, these tactics are flat-out "underhanded" on the part of SC and their own legal counsel Harrington.

14. Diafel

Diafel Regular Member

Don't get me wrong. What I mean by botched case is the fact that obviously, once again, proper investigation, which Kurt swears up and down is done, was apparently not.
    Had it been done, either your husband would not have been name and you would have, or you both would have been as owners of the business.
    This isn't the first time that mistakes have been made, and I highly doubt it will be the last.

15. c. staley

c. staley Regular Member

bingo!

16. Diafel

Diafel Regular Member

And what did you actually get?
    Sorry to come off sounding harsh, but I really don't see what happened to you as being fair. Yes, you are generally happy with the outcome, but seriously, you come off sounding just a little pi$$ed about it, too. And who can blame you?

17. Guest

Guest Guest

I just wish you had been a member of this site a lot sooner you could have gotten the library a lot cheaper than through the settlement.

18. Diafel

Diafel Regular Member

Again, I agree. That's twice in one day!

19. Jennifer Price

I totally agree that things are botched frequently. I also feel strongly that we need SC in this fight to make things better so I can go back to the days of $350 to $500 nights of karaoke...

I'm not happy with SC right now. We were offered discs for information we gave them and the discs never arrived. We also sent them and entire SC catalogue we bought online that was sworn to be legal... The fool new he was sending us pirated discs and did it anyway. We had even told him we had settled with SC and wouldn't accept pirated discs. We sent the entire catalogue to SC and all the packaging and all and were told we'd be compensated. No one has taken my calls since. I've left messages and so has my husband and we don't get calls back...

I am not a SC lover, but I need them and CB and Stellar in this fight to get my business back where it should be. They are using mob tactics to do this, but if it puts half of the pirates around here out of business I'll back it.

20. c. staley

c. staley Regular Member

Why don't you ask Kurt when you see them if SC would be willing to "make it right" and give this person what they expected rather than what ended up looking more like a "bait and switch?"

I'll be you right now SC won't do a dam thing about it.

So what we have here is a very nice person, most probably 1:1 but took the settlement because she was promised "the whole catalog" and ended up with only "some remaining inventory" instead.

Yes, she has more music now than she had before, but she was ALSO TRICKED.

Makes me glad I dropped the brand when I did.... they're just tossing mud in their own face...