Invited in to help fight piracy!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jennifer Price, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

2. Jennifer Price

Jennifer Price Regular Member

OK, I'm going to try one more time to explain that Kurt realized that those tactics were pissing off a lot of people. He has CHANGED THEM!!!!! Yes I went through it, but those that follow will not have that happen to them. So let's quit calling them out on a problem that has been fixed.

I'm trying really hard to understand why you are so bitter toward SC. Have you been named in a suit? Did these things happen to you? I have forgiven the past and just want to move forward in a positive way. Can you?

I really want to know why you don't want to give Kurt and SC a break! Do you care to enlighten me?

3. Thunder Hag

Thunder Hag Regular Member

Jennifer,
    I am sorry, but I disagree with you.
    Yes, in dealing with individuals you do get what you give.
    However, SC is NOT DIFFERENT than any other company, why would you give your money to buy a product, get hassled into there demands, give in, not get what you paid for, get bad customer service, have to call them out on a public forum just to have it rectified. And STILL make that claim?

Would you do this for say... Sears?

4. Birdofsong

Birdofsong Regular Member

Yep. I'd be happy to enlighten you. Pisses me off everytime I look at the thousands of dollars of SC discs just sitting and collecting dust in my garage that I can't use anymore for fear of putting our selves or our venues in some sort of legal jeopardy...because it's either that or submit to an unconstitutional invasion of my rights, and I value my rights far more than I value SC's music. I am resentful of the money I have wasted over the years on SC's product when I could have spent it on a company that would have appreciated it and valued my business.

Birdofsong (Mrs. Chip)

5. KJSandman

KJSandman Regular Member

Jennifer that would be a reasonable response. Stay the course. You've just opened the exact same can of worms that I did.

I also tried to comprehend the motivation behind such negativity and bitterness. I asked the exact same question about lawsuits and the answer is that he has not been named and is not a party to a lawsuit like the ones being discussed here. In fact, he does not reside in the U.S. and doesn't actually have the same concerns as you regarding these specific issues.

It is apparent to me, that he will continue to refuse to cooperate and that the only movement will be that sinking feeling when you get dragged down into the mess he's mucking about in. Not positive.

What is the absolute opposite of enlighten?

6. Jennifer Price

My point with that is that Kurt and I have talked. We did not say don't say anything in the forum or go ahead and tell them... Since we didn't discuss whether you should all hear the details, I don't feel that I have the right to tell you.

I have told you that we are continuing to talk and we have made some agreements to work together to fight piracy. I haven't put the details out for the reasons I stated above. I have addressed how each of my complaints were handled.

My complaint of the strong arm tactics was addressed before Kurt and I spoke. The entire process has changed. Kurt apologized for how we were handled. His lawyer did his job. RESOLVED.

My disc issue has been addressed by Kurt. He's looking into the miscommunication that caused my bad feelings aand will address the internal issue that caused that part of my problem. He assured me we would be taken care of.

If Kurt feels that details are necessary to post. I'll post them. If he prefers to keep the things we discussed that I'm very happy about private, we'll keep them private.

7. c. staley

c. staley Regular Member

Suffice it to say that I have a "history" with Sound Choice that goes back 10 or more years that is "nonya bidnez" as well.

However, if you think piracy is a problem with KJ's then I'd suggest you simply look up Famous Music vs. Slep Tone Entertainment in 2006, and look at exhibit "A." It documents TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY FIVE (255) "unfortunate mistakes" that were made by the same company/person/whatever. The same "mistakes" you paid for and are playing in clubs now.... (others might call it "pirated music and lyrics" but your mileage may vary.) So while you're busy "fighting piracy" you might want to think about who you are "fighting FOR" is it that "nice gentleman" you spent an hour on the phone with? Sheep's clothing is one-size-fits-all.

You also might want to check the "Show cause motion" in the same suit against SC's attorney for "intimidating a witness." So "strong-arming and mob tactics" is not something that "the company" is unaware of... they pay good money for it and have for a long time and if you think that will change just because "the company" told you so, you're mistaken and being told what to do and what to say or not say is being played like a fiddle... In my opinion.

8. Birdofsong

Birdofsong Regular Member

Is it really necessary to have a public conversation about your assessment of someone's character that's on this board? You want to commiserate because you didn't hear what you wanted? You can do that by private message. Really.

9. Jennifer Price

I understand your concerns. I also majored in Political Science, so I also understand the right to privacy. I am a firm believer in your rights as long as they don't infringe on my rights.. You have to choose the lesser of two evils. Allowing pirates to run free with no consequences or allowing a few hours of showing your discs to SC... I know which is the bigger evil for me.

If you guys feel so strongly, I'd be willing to buy some discs from you that we don't own. I'd bet you could make some money selling them on ebay!

10. Jennifer Price

I think I've made it very clear that the complete available catalogue was much less than I expected. BUT I GOT WHAT I PAID FOR and agreed to. I was given a few extra discs that one of him employees never sent out. We weren't in the database (which has been rectified). I got extremely good customer service last night and today...

I didn't come in here to call them out. I was asked questions about the process and I told the truth of how things happened. I never blamed Kurt Slep for my issues. I did express frustration, but my issues have been resolved. AND PIRATES ARE RUINING MY LIFE AND BUSINESS AND NEARLY RUINED MY 20 YEAR MARRIAGE. THEY SHOULD SUFFER CONSEQUENCES AND I'LL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO MAKE SURE THEY PAY! I think Kurt feels the same way.

11. Jennifer Price

LOL. I get it! I'm amazed that I'm being turned on for having my problems handled properly by SC...

12. c. staley

c. staley Regular Member

You didn't bother to show discs either did you? Nope. You just wrote them a check right? And now you're all "buddy-buddy?" If it makes you feel good then great.... I wish you the best.

You would have to take a number (with a rather large digit printed on it), but thank you, no. We've already sold thousands of dollars of discs and that's all we're going to do. I've even offered them to Kurt at Sound Choice, but even he doesn't want them apparently.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Jennifer,

Perhaps this will help you, I always laugh when I see this and it helps me deal with the world in general.

14. Thunder Hag

Thunder Hag Regular Member

I don't think I turned on you..
    I am the one who said Kurt would probably make it right.
    I just don't understand how you can really be so at peace about it, is all.

BTW, you answered my post without really answering it.

Would all the tactics you went through and endured be okay for any other business besides SC? For example Sears?

15. Jennifer Price

I'm very confused. You've already sold your discs, but you still have a garage full? If you offered them to Kurt, and he looked through them, isn't that sort of like an audit? You would have effectively proven you owned them and been free from the threat of a lawsuit.

16. possumdog

possumdog Regular Member

I am pretty certain that if Jennifer and Kurt had hashed out the details in public via the forum, there would have been discussion about the inappropriateness of that. We've been down that road before.

17. KJSandman

KJSandman Regular Member

This is not a rational response. This is an emotional response.

I cannot see how you, or your clients are in jeopardy as you do, in fact, own the original media.

I don't have anything other than your word here, but that's good enough for me.

I believe that a "trust, but verify" policy would go a long way towards restoring confidence to those that are afraid.

No one has stopped you from using your valuable assets. You made a decision based on fear.

Tell you what... I've got a set of about four to five hundred original manufacturer's CD+Gs that are duplicates of CD+Gs found in my working library. I'll remove any SC product from that set and trade you disc for disc plus 10% of the total value (at 73 cents a track) of your SC CD+Gs excluding the rare out of print items. Heck, I'll even throw in an editable pdf version of the song listings and I'll provide a usb drive with a 1:1 file ratio to the tracks on those discs. I'll convert them anyway you want - wav, mp3, mpeg, avi. I'll include an affidavit stating that I alone performed the format shift and that the drive was sold with the original media.

This should alleviate your fears and give you a chance to recover some of your self-inflicted loss.

If you'll consider my offer and if it gets the A-O-K from Mr. BirdofSong, then we're a go.

18. Jennifer Price

Sears doesn't have half the world using their washers and dryers without buying them.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

20. KJSandman

KJSandman Regular Member

yes mommy, care to pm me when chastising me in front of the other children?