Instant Forum Turn-On

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Nick, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

What is it about a forum that gets you to register immediately and then continuing to come back?

2. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

The design <3 but it doesn't keep me going solely with the design, I'd need to experience the forum itself.

3. John

John Regular Member

I think the same as the above poster the design catches me but the community keeps me.

4. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Generally, the visual appearance. However...

Before joining a forum, I always browse around and read through some of the discussions taking place (at the time). By doing so, I'm getting a "feel" for the community - or in other words, figuring out how they operate on a day-to-day basis. If I like what I see, I'll then register.

5. Imperial

Imperial Adept

Visual appear is the first big thing for me. If I see the website looks like it has had quite a bit of effort put into its design and gives a good vibe, I dive deeper. Anything running default styles, lacks a decent header image, zero customization...I won't bother. Simply too many forums on the web, I'd like to visit the ones that are easy on the eyes at least.

6. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

You know, I've only had one person ever quip about Elliquiy using the 'default theme' during the introduction process...

Obviously, I've toyed with it - but I sort of enjoy the "Wow factor" when people do get approved >_> I wonder if it's doing its job of turning away the superficial or genuinely just turning people away.

7. kev

kev Regular Member

Free videos about sex, free pictures about sex. And this can't be no raunchy nasty videos either, I want to see some clean looking, skinny, trim ladies. And nothing about teens, I wanna see some mature moms that have taken care of themselves.

Nick - you used the keyword "immediately". And nothing catches the attention of a healthy male faster then sex related topics. unless your gay or something.

After sex, its adult related topics. Such as parties, car wrecks, nudity, people doing really strange stuff,,,,,.

Like this video I saw the other day. This guy wanted to be a Magician, so he was putting on an act where he was laying on his back, with a weight about 18 inches across about 4 feet above his head - which had knife blades on it - he had to get out of the straight jacket before the rope holding the weight burned through. Well, he did not make it - the weight fell, driving one of the knife blades through his skull and killing him on the spot. People were screaming, there was blood everywhere,,, is was pretty freaking sick. But there was a lesson to be learned - dont be stupid with your life.

After sex and adult related topics, its computer gaming stuff, disaster preparedness and regular life websites.

8. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Sex?

I think you meant asexual or something. :lol: I don't know much about gay people but I'm pretty sure they have sex too. :lol:

But Kevin is right, sex is something that would attract me. It doesn't have to be graphic, even text will catch my attention. After that is car and gun talk, then sports, then technology.

9. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

- if I need technical help RIGHT NOW and they look like they can provide it
    - if I see a really interesting conversation going on that I absolutely must add my two cents to

Otherwise I'll lurk for a while and see if the place is right for me.

10. Tom

Tom Regular Member

The visual appearance, activity, content, the people, sense of community and the topic.

11. Rizzo

Rizzo Regular Member

Design is a huge thing, easy to read, friendly looking.

Then i look at a few posts, are the people bitchy or nice?

12. Chris

Chris Regular Member

This is something that I find myself doing, as well.

The overall "attitude" of the community is a factor that is often overlooked by the administrators and/or staff team themselves. While they (as a team) may feel that the overall environment is "friendly and acceptable", it can be quite the opposite to those who are showing interest in and/or thinking about registering. I see this particularly on discussion forums that are managed by younger children (i.e. 13 years of age or less) - as they are generally less mature and in a position of "power", they will sometimes feel the need to boss the memberbase around (to show them who is in charge, so to speak). Of course, this is not the behavior exhibited by all administrators or forum owners of that age. This is merely something I've noticed over the years.

This "bossy" attitude can then be passed on to the actual members of the forum and, because of this, can create a certain level of unpleasantness.

13. doodles

doodles Adept

First Name:
    Lisa
    I don't find the theme of a site overly important but the user friendlyness ie the ease of getting around the site very important. Then I browse, get the feel of the place, see how friendly people are etc etc before i join.
    Too much 'clutter' on a homepage or forum really puts me off, hate ads and would never join a forum that has pop up ads. I also prefer smaller growing forums rather than big ones.

14. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    i think the thing that makes me register on a forum is how interesting the threads are, and how friendly the members are.

i normally lurk for a bit, see if there are any threads i want to reply to, and get the feel for how the community is

15. 2dub

2dub Regular Member

I'm in agreement. I first look at the design. This tells me a lot about the site and how much effort people put into their site.

Then I'll lurk for a while getting a feel for the site, the content and the environment. This is more important than the design. I just wrote in my last post I think a forum is a community and needs to offer a sense of belonging. If that is missing for me I'll probably leave.

If all goes well I'll register and begin posting.

16. Venom

Venom Adept

The design is usually what captivates me.

Apart from that, huge activity is another factor. I usually look at a forum's stats, and the amount of members online.

17. Mopar1973Man

Mopar1973Man Novice

First Name:
    Michael
    Visual appearance is part of it... But for me I enjoy smaller boards that are not super busy that is more like a family type setting.

Like comparing Vbulletin.com to AdminAddict.net... VB is just way too busy I'm not impressed. There is tons and tons of post but very little information worth a darn... So yeah you can be a huge forum and still suck because there is so many members you just can't help them all... But here there is like a common factor of people down to earth and like to communicate with each other on the common subject of forum and adminstration... :D

It like my competitors out there they are huge forums and just totally out of control. So what you got million post and 1/2 million threads... But is the information easy to find? Does it help the other newbies coming into the site? Are the other members and staff helpful to the newbies? These are factors that count to me...

Kind of like saying you get a more personal touch of service from the site when its smaller and pouring over with members and post.

18. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

I thought for sure you would say the smell of burning diesel ; )

19. Mopar1973Man

Mopar1973Man Novice

First Name:
    Michael
    LOL! Really good...:rofl: :doh:

2 people like this.
  20. Shower

Shower Newcomer

First Name:
    Allen
    I always browse around and read through some of the discussions taking place (at the time). By doing so, I am getting a "feel" for the community.